Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday
Waterloo, Iowa-This weekend's USHL rivalry game at Young Arena will be a "Rock 'em, Sock 'em" Saturday; the Waterloo Black Hawks have revealed plans to collect socks for the Cedar Valley's homeless population amidst a matchup against the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders.
When the Hawks score their first goal that night, fans will be asked to shower new, unworn pairs of socks onto the ice. The footwear will be donated to House of Hope and The Cedar Valley Hospitality House, which both serve the homeless of Black Hawk County.
"Last season when we did this for the first time, 1,197 pairs of socks exceeded our expectations," noted Black Hawks Vice President of Sales and Marketing Joe Greene. "With one year under our belts, and with Saturday's game being against Cedar Rapids, I am hopeful we can take it a step further, no pun intended."
Socks for men, women, and children are a special area of need for organizations serving the homeless during this cold, wet season.
The Cedar Valley Hospitality House is a daytime shelter in Waterloo open year round from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day. The organization provides morning and afternoon meals, access to shower and laundry facilities, clothing, and social advocacy.
House of Hope is a two-year transitional program for homeless single women with children, offering support and personalized case management to help them change their lives and sustainably achieve independence and self-sufficiency.
Tickets are on sale now for Cedar Rapids' final visit to Young Arena this season. The 7:05 matchup will also feature activities and contests dedicated to the 2018 Winter Olympics. Order seats by visiting waterlooblackhawks.com or call the Domino's Black Hawks Box Office at (319) 291-7680.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 18 - USHL
- Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tristan Ashbrook Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Take Down Aces, 8-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Make Deal with Aces - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.