Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - Prior to Tuesday's USA Hockey trade deadline, the Chicago Steel executed a multi-player deal Monday with the Fargo Force, acquiring defensemen Brian Hurley and Matt Kessel, affiliate defenseman Conner Hutchison and a second-round pick in the 2018 USHL Phase I Draft in exchange for defensemen Xan Gurney and Robbie Stucker, affiliate forward Alex Pollock, and a seventh-round pick in the 2018 USHL Phase I Draft.
Hurley, 19, is a veteran of 79 USHL regular season games. The 6-foot-1 native of Dellwood, Minn., is committed to Clarkson University (ECAC). Hurley, a left-shot defenseman, has 15 points (4-11-15) and a +11 rating through 38 games this season.
Kessel, 17, participated in last month's USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game and is eligible for the 2018 NHL Draft. The Bloomfield Hills, Mich., native stands 6-foot-2 and shoots right. He has three assists and a +16 rating so far in his rookie USHL season. Kessel is committed to Miami University (NCHC).
Hutchison, 17, joins the Steel affiliate list. The 5-foot-11, left-shot defenseman is a native of Hicksville, N.Y., and currently plays in the USPHL for Selects Hockey Academy. He is committed to the University of Vermont (Hockey East).
Gurney, a member of the Steel's 2017 Clark Cup Championship roster, recorded one assist in 26 games this season, and like Kessel, participated in the 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game. Stucker, a Columbus Blue Jackets draft pick, departs the Steel after notching 19 points (4-15-19) in 34 games. Pollock appeared in one game for the Steel - one month ago today at Fargo.
Chicago starts a three-game week Tuesday night at the Waterloo Black Hawks. Puck drop is set for 7:05 p.m. Steel games are carried live on Mixlr (free audio) and HockeyTV (iPPV). For more information, visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com/broadcast.
The Steel return home Friday, Feb. 9 to take on the Central Illinois Flying Aces, at 7:05 p.m., featuring a 2019 Chicago Bears Super Bowl Celebration (we're very optimistic). Prior to the game, the Steel will host a Breaking into Sports panel for young professionals featuring staff members from the Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox, Joliet Slammers and Chicago Steel.
The Steel then close the week Saturday night at the Green Bay Gamblers. For more information, or to purchase tickets, call 855-51-STEEL, stop by the Box Office at Fox Valley Ice Arena or visit ChicagoSteelHockeyTeam.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 18 - USHL
- Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tristan Ashbrook Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Take Down Aces, 8-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Make Deal with Aces - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Brock Sheahan Named Associate Head Coach
- Chicago Steel 2018-2019 Regular Season Schedule Announced
- Steel Receive Three Players and Three Picks in Trade with Omaha
- Four Players with Steel Ties Selected in 2018 NHL Draft
- Prospects Dazzle in Steel Main Camp All-Star Game