Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win
Sioux Falls, SD-A goal in the first and a goal in the third was all the Sioux Falls Stampede needed to collect their fourth straight win as they blanked the Des Moines Buccaneers 2-0 Friday night at the PREMIER Center. Mikhail Berdin earned his third career shutout in goal with 16 saves while Kevin Conley and Jaxon Nelson provided the goals. The Herd improved to 20-11-6 on the year and into a tie for third place, just two points back of Tri-City for first place in the Western Conference.
The Stampede knew a key coming in to the game was to get off to a good start in front of the home crowd and set the tone for the weekend. The Herd were able to do just that, courtesy of Kevin Conley. The Wausau, WI native took the puck from center ice and weaved his way into the offensive zone, split two defenseman and to the edge of the right circle where the lifted a shot over the right shoulder of Des Moines goaltender Roman Durny for a 1-0 lead. Both teams exchanged a few exciting scoring chances, but it remained a 1-0 lead. Artem Ivanyuzhenkov got flagged for head contact and received a five-minute major penalty and a game misconduct. The Stampede were able to kill off the major penalty and headed into the intermission with a 1-0 lead, outshooting the Bucs 9-6.
After a scoreless second period in which the Stampede outshot the Bucs 12-4, the Stampede gained their second goal of the game 9:05 into the third period when Jaxon Nelson tallied his 9th of the season. Kirill Panyukov got a nice backhand shot onto the net that was stopped by Durny, but Nelson was there for the rebound and bounced it off the goaltender and into the net for a 2-0 lead. That would be all the Stampede would need as Berdin stopped all eight shots in goal to secure the win and the shutout.
Sioux Falls outshot Des Moines 29-16 in the game and finished the night 0-for-2 on the power play while the Bucs were also 0-for-2.
The Stampede and Bucs will meet again on Saturday night at 7:05 PM at the PREMIER Center. Doors open at 6 PM. It is also the 11th annual Sioux Nation Pet Clinic Wiener Dog Races. The first 500 fans will receive a free tug-and-throw dog toy, compliments of Sioux Nation Pet Clinic. Dakota Dachshund Rescue will be on hand will several lovable, adoptable dachshunds in the main concourse. Two races will take place during the first intermission with the top two finishers from each race advancing to the Final Four race during the second intermission. In addition, Stampede players will be wearing special wiener dog themed jerseys during the game that will be available through a LIVE auction with Last Chance Auction Company. Tickets are still available through the KELOLAND Box Office or any Ticketmaster outlet.
Images from this story
Sioux Falls Stampede vs. Des Moines Buccaneers
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from February 5, 2018
- USHL Names Players of the Week - Week 18 - USHL
- Hawks Host "Rock 'Em, Sock 'Em" Saturday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Tristan Ashbrook Named USHL Forward of the Week - Lincoln Stars
- Stampede Blank Bucs for Fourth Straight Win - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Alum Zach Aston-Reese Makes NHL Debut with Pittsburgh Penguins - Lincoln Stars
- Steel Execute Multi-Player Trade with Fargo - Chicago Steel
- Lancers Take Down Aces, 8-1 - Omaha Lancers
- Recap - EARLY START HELPS STARS TO 5-3 WIN OVER TEAM USA - Lincoln Stars
- Lancers Make Deal with Aces - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sioux Falls Stampede Stories
- Stampede Select 18 Players During USHL Phase II Draft
- Stampede Select 10 Players During USHL Phase I Draft
- Nick Oliver Named Assistant Coach at St. Cloud State
- St. Ivany Named to All-USHL Third Team
- Stampede's Season Comes to An End in Heartbreaking OT Loss to Lincoln