Ak-Sar-Ben Knights Blank Admirals, 2-0
Brent Krahn made 26 saves for his second shut out of the year as the Omaha Ak-Sar-Ben Knights shut out the Milwaukee Admirals 2-0 at the Civic Auditorium. The win boosted the Knights' lead over Milwaukee to five points in the West Division standings.
All the scoring took place in the first period. While on the power play Tim Hambly wristed an innocent-looking shot into a scrum in front of the Admirals' goal that found the top corner to give the Knights the lead. It was his third goal of the season.
The Knights would add a second goal at 9:37 of the first period. Andrei Taratukhin danced into the Milwaukee zone, around an Admiral defender, and back-handed a shot on goal. After recovering the rebound, Taratukhin spotted an open Carsen Germyn in the slot. He blasted a shot past Goehring for a two-goal advantage.
That would be all the scoring Krahn would need. After making 12 saves in the first period, he would steer aside another five in the second period and nine in the third period. Despite numerous chances around the Knights net, the Admirals could not solve Krahn.
The Knights are now 40-22-4-1. The win was their 40th of the season. Omaha finished the season with a record of 9-1-0-0 against the Admirals who they could face in the first round of the playoffs. In addition to increasing their lead on Milwaukee, the Knights also drew to within two points of idle Chicago for first place in the West. The Knights have two games in hand.
Three Stars: 1. Brent Krahn (OMA) - 26 saves; 2. Andrei Taratukhin (OMA) - 2 assists; 3. Tim Hambly (OMA) - Game-winning goal.
The Ak-Sar-Ben Knights make their way to Houston to begin a four-game road trip on Saturday night. All the action can be heard live on 1420 KOTK and on the internet at omahaaksarbenknights.com. The game also can be seen on-line through the B2 Networks link on the Knights' web site. Game time is 7:35 p.m.
Tickets for all Ak-Sar-Ben Knights' games are on sale at the Omaha Civic Auditorium box office Monday through Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tickets also are available through all Ticketmaster outlets and by phone at (402) 422-1212. Kids 12 and under get in free with a paid adult on tickets purchased after 5:00 p.m. Other restrictions apply.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2007
- P-Bruins Defeat Pirates 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Ak-Sar-Ben Knights Blank Admirals, 2-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- 'Dogs clipped by Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kochan, Reitz lead way in sweep - Houston Aeros
- Move over Norfolk, Bears back on top of East - Hershey Bears
- Penguins put off Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Devils Sign Tarkir to ATO - Albany Devils
- Admirals Recall Sanford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks sign Tanner Glass to ATO - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Announce Details of Quickway Food Stores Eye Black Night Set For March 31 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ottawa assigns three prospects to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Sign Prospect Piskula - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies visit Syracuse before returning home for weekend action - Toronto Marlies
- Albany River Rats sign RW Kirk MacDonald to ATO - Albany River Rats
- Stars sign one, lose one - Iowa Chops
- Crabb and LaVallee Wrap Up Wolves Reading Program - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Blackhawks Return Dustin Byfuglien to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Bears have first place and splayoff spot in sight - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.