Penguins put off Phantoms
WILKES-BARRE, PA - Stephen Dixon had a two-goal night to lead the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins over the Philadelphia Phantoms 4-0 on Wednesday night at the Wachovia Arena at Casey Plaza. Philadelphia remains seven points out of a playoff spot after Albany lost 3-2 to Worcester.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton took a 1-0 lead just 15 seconds into the game. Tim Wallace came down the right side and was able to beat his defender, subsequently walking to the top of the crease before putting a backhander on net. The shot hit the post and came right to Connor James, who put home the rebound. The quarter-minute it took to score tied the Phantoms season mark for fastest goal against.
The Pens expanded the lead to 2-0 at the 7:19 mark of the second period. Jonathan Filewich was the recipient of a pass in the right circle, and his initial bid was stopped by Scott Munroe. But the rebound came right back to Filewich, and he put the puck over the netminder's glove-hand shoulder.
Wilkes-Barre cultivated their lead again at 11:20 of the third period. Dixon took a pass from Dennis Bonvie, who was behind the net, and fired it past Munroe for the 3-0 lead.
Shortly afterward, the lead became 4-0 when an unfortunate bounce gave the Pens a goal. Nate Guenin was trying to clear the puck out of his crease after a Wilkes-Barre shot and inadvertently put the puck in the net. Dixon was credited with his second consecutive goal at 14:24.
Nolan Schaefer earned the shutout with 17 saves, while Munroe absorbed the loss with 31 saves on 35 Wilkes-Barre shots.
The next game for Philadelphia is Friday night, March 23 against the Springfield Falcons. It's Casino Night at the Wachovia Spectrum, with casino-style games set up throughout the concourse. Individual tickets for all Phantoms games, including $8 tickets for children 14 and under anywhere in the building, are on sale now at phantomshockey.com or by calling 800-298-4200.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 21, 2007
- P-Bruins Defeat Pirates 5-3 - Providence Bruins
- Ak-Sar-Ben Knights Blank Admirals, 2-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- 'Dogs clipped by Amerks - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Kochan, Reitz lead way in sweep - Houston Aeros
- Move over Norfolk, Bears back on top of East - Hershey Bears
- Penguins put off Phantoms - Adirondack Phantoms
- Bulldogs weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Devils Sign Tarkir to ATO - Albany Devils
- Admirals Recall Sanford - Milwaukee Admirals
- Amerks sign Tanner Glass to ATO - Rochester Americans
- Crunch Announce Details of Quickway Food Stores Eye Black Night Set For March 31 - Syracuse Crunch
- Ottawa assigns three prospects to Binghamton - Binghamton Senators
- Kings Sign Prospect Piskula - Manchester Monarchs
- Marlies visit Syracuse before returning home for weekend action - Toronto Marlies
- Albany River Rats sign RW Kirk MacDonald to ATO - Albany River Rats
- Stars sign one, lose one - Iowa Chops
- Crabb and LaVallee Wrap Up Wolves Reading Program - Chicago Wolves
- AHL Quick Hits - AHL
- Blackhawks Return Dustin Byfuglien to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Aeros Gameday - Houston Aeros
- Bears have first place and splayoff spot in sight - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.