Ahearn Realizes Dream
Bismarck, ND March 21, 2008 - Dakota Wizards guard Blake Ahearn today earned a GATORADE Call-Up to the Miami Heat. He is scheduled to join the team tonight in Miami when the Heat hosts the Washington Wizards. He will wear jersey #6
Ahearn played in 41 games (15 starts) for the Central Division leading Dakota Wizards, where he averaged 19.0 points and 3.5 assists and shot 48.6 percent from the field, 43.9 percent from three-point range and 96.0 percent from the free throw line in 29.5 minutes of action. He led the Wizards in three-point field goals made (108), was second in points (778), field goals made (239), free throws made (192), assists (142) and was third in minutes played (1,208) and steals (30).
"I've had a lot of (call-ups) over the years, but this is probably the one that's made me the happiest," Wizards coach Duane Ticknor said. "Proof that hard work pays off - the first guy in the gym, the last to leave every day."
The 20th GATORADE Call-Up this season, and the third since the Wizards moved to the D-League, Ahearn was a standout at Missouri State before going undrafted. During his collegiate career, he averaged 13.1 points and 1.8 assists while shooting 42.3 percent from the field. He finished his NCAA career as the all-time leading free throw shooter in NCAA Division I history, while finishing as Missouri State's seventh all-time leading scorer with 1,677 points.
Ahearn joins fellow D-League alumni Dorell Wright, Daequan Cook, Earl Barron, Alexander Johnson, Bobby Jones, Joel Anthony and GATORADE Call-Up Stephane Lasme on the Heat's roster.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 21, 2008
- Wizards Rebound at Home - Dakota Wizards
- Vipers Fall Short of Comeback in OT - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Toros closeout Vipers in overtime - Austin Spurs
- D-Fenders Fall to Jam - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Ahearn Realizes Dream - Dakota Wizards
- Blake Ahearn Earns Gatorade Call-Up To The Miami Heat - G League
- Dakota Wizards Reacquire Guard David Bell - Dakota Wizards
- Los Angeles D-Fender Stephane Lasme Earns Gatorade Call-Up To Miami Heat - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Stephane Lasme Earns Gatorade Call-Up to Miami Heat - G League
- Mad Ants Make Roster Change - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- NBA D-League Daily Developments - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.