Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year
BISMARCK, ND (April. 24, 2012) - The Dakota Wizards announced today that Stefhon Hannah has been named the NBA Development League's Defensive Player of the Year as voted on by the league's 16 head coaches.
Hannah, a 6-1, 175-pound guard out of Missouri, was acquired by Dakota on January 22 from the available player pool. In his second season, he was second in the league in steals averaging 2.1 per game and recorded a steal in 25 of 29 games played. He averaged 18.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists in 29 games (27 starts).
His tenacious defense led to productive offense as Hannah scored in double figures 23 times, including an NBA D-League career-high 43 points in a 119-111 win over the Reno Bighorns on March 17, when he shot 13-of-18 from the floor and was 8-0f-10 from behind the arc. Hannah was named NBA D-League Performer of the Week on April 2.
"It's an honor to coach Stef. He's tough, competes and wants to win," said Wizards Head Coach Nate Bjorkgren. "He's an outstanding player who has the ability to change a game."
Hannah is the fourth player in Dakota Wizards history to be named Rookie of the Year and third Wizard to garner the NBA Development League's Rookie of The Year, as Chris Johnson received the honor for the 2010-11 season and Renaldo Major for the 2006-07 season.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 24, 2012
- D-Fenders Claim Game One of NBA D-League Finals - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Los Angeles Defeats Austin, 109-101, in Overtime of Game One of NBA Development League Finals - G League
- Sixers Sign Maine's Xavier Silas for Remainder of Season - Maine Red Claws
- Maine's Xavier Silas Signs with Philadelphia 76ers - G League
- Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year - Dakota Wizards
- Dakota's Stefhon Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year - G League
- NBA D-League Update - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.