Dakota's Stefhon Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year
April 24, 2012 - NBA G League (G League) News Release
NEW YORK, April 24, 2012 - Dakota Wizards guard Stefhon Hannah has been selected as the NBA Development League's Defensive Player of the Year by a vote of the League's 16 head coaches, it was announced today.
In his second season, Hannah, a 6-1, 175-pound guard out of Missouri, appeared in 29 games (27 starts), averaging 18.4 points, 4.8 assists and 2.14 steals, which ranked second in the league. He registered a steal in 25 of 29 games played. On Feb. 12, he had five steals and 19 points in a 128-118 victory over the Erie BayHawks. He was named NBA D-League Performer of the Week on April 2.
His defensive prowess helped the Wizards to a 29-21 record during the regular season, and the fourth seed entering the NBA D-league Playoffs presented by BBVA.
On the other end of the court, Hannah scored in double figures 23 times, including an NBA D-League career-high 43 points in a 119-111 win over the Reno Bighorns on March 17, when he shot 13-of-18 from the floor and connected on 8-of-10 from beyond the arc.
"Stefhon was a defensive powerhouse all season long and there is no question his consistency on defense helped Dakota to a successful campaign," said Chris Alpert, Vice President of Basketball Operations and Player Personnel for the NBA D-League. "I'm pleased to see the coaches recognize his tremendous effort, and I congratulate him on the accomplishment."
Hannah joins Chris Johnson (Dakota, 2010-11) Boston Celtics center Greg Stiemsma (Sioux Falls, 2009-10) Brent Petway, (Idaho, 2008-09), Stephane Lasme (Los Angeles, 2007-08), Mouhamed Sene (Idaho, 2007-08), Renaldo Major (Dakota, 2006-07), Derrick Zimmerman (Austin, 2005-06; Columbus 2004-05), Karim Shabazz (Charleston, 2003-04), Golden State Warriors center Mikki Moore (Roanoke, 2002-03) and Jeff Myers (Greenville, 2001-02) as winners of the NBA D-League's Defensive Player of the Year Award.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from April 24, 2012
- D-Fenders Claim Game One of NBA D-League Finals - Los Angeles D-Fenders
- Los Angeles Defeats Austin, 109-101, in Overtime of Game One of NBA Development League Finals - G League
- Sixers Sign Maine's Xavier Silas for Remainder of Season - Maine Red Claws
- Maine's Xavier Silas Signs with Philadelphia 76ers - G League
- Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year - Dakota Wizards
- Dakota's Stefhon Hannah Named NBA Development League Defensive Player of the Year - G League
- NBA D-League Update - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.