Three Wizards Earn All-NBA D-League Nominations
BISMARCK, ND (May 2, 2012) - Edwin Ubiles, the 2012 NBA Development League Rookie of the Year, has been named to the 2012 All-NBA D-League First Team as well as the 2012 NBA D-League All-Rookie First Team, as voted on by the NBA D-League's 16 head coaches. Stefhon Hannah and Marcus Dove also received honors as they were named All-NBA D-League Honorable Mention as well as All-NBA D-League All-Defensive First Team.
Ubiles, a 6-6, 204-pound forward out of Sienna, was acquired by Dakota in a draft day trade with the Bakersfiled Jam. In his first season as a professional, he was fourth in the league in scoring averaging 19.9 points on .503 shooting to go along with 5.0 rebounds, 3.1 assists and 1.0 steal in 41 games (41 starts) earning him a GATORADE Call-Up to the Washington Wizards on March 18th.
"Edwin had a great year and has the tools and skill to be an NBA player," said Wizards Head Coach Nate Bjorkgren. "He is a top rookie prospect that has a bright future in front of him."
Hannah, the 2012 NBA D-League Defensive Player of the Year, was acquired by Dakota on January 22 from the available player pool. In his second season, he was second in the league in steals averaging 2.1 per game and recorded a steal in 25 of 29 games played. He averaged 18.4 points, 3.8 rebounds and 4.8 assists in 29 games (27 starts).
"It's an honor to coach Stef. He's tough, competes and wants to win," said Wizards Head Coach Nate Bjorkgren. "He's an outstanding player who has the ability to change a game."
Dove, who was selected by Dakota in the third round (43rd overall) of the 2009 NBA D-League Draft, returned this season after playing the 2010-11 season in Taiwan. He averaged 14.2 points on .614 shooting to go along with 6.6 rebounds, 1.1 assists, 1.6 steals and 1.5 steals in 43 games (25 starts).
"Marcus competes every day and his toughness and will to win set the tone for the rest of our team," said Wizards Head Coach Nate Bjorkgren. "He keeps getting closer and closer to an NBA roster."
Ubiles is the fourth Dakota Wizard to earn All-NBA D-League First Team honors joining Renaldo Major who was nominated in 2007, Blake Ahearn in 2009 and Chris Johnson in 2011.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from May 2, 2012
- Six Tulsa 66ers Earn Season-Ending Honors - Tulsa 66ers
- Stampede's Mikki Moore Named All-NBA D-League - Idaho Stampede
- Ahearn, Emmett Named to All-NBA D-League Teams - Reno Bighorns
- Jones Named to NBA D-League All-Rookie 1st Team - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Rookies Garner Recognition - Erie BayHawks
- Three Wizards Earn All-NBA D-League Nominations - Dakota Wizards
- Major Earns All-NBA D-League Honorable Mention - Bakersfield Jam
- Texas' Sean Williams Earns NBA D-League Honors - Texas Legends
- Smith Named to D-League First Team - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- NBA Development League Announces 2012 All-NBA D-League Selections - G League
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.