A Promising Start in Orangeville
Orangeville, ON - The Mississauga Steelheads kicked off their pre-season schedule against the Guelph Storm at the Alder Street Community Centre on Friday night.
Michael Stubbs kicked off the goal-scoring tucking away a rebound after Luca DelBelBelluz walked in all alone to put the Fish up 1-0. The teams would trade penalties back and forth, but the Steelheads headed to the locker room with the lead. Mississauga outshot Guelph 10 to 5 in the frame.
Mississauga put the pressure on throughout the 2nd period with two goals being waived off due to a kicking motion and goaltender interference. With 39 seconds remaining, Nick Isaacson put the Steelheads up 2-0 with a hard wrist shot from the slot off a pass from Keean Washkurak. Joe Ranger was sensational in the period, stopping 11/11 shots from Guelph, on his way to an unbeaten night. Ranger would give way to rookie netminder Justin Dilauro to start the 3rd period.
Isaacson would open the scoring with his second of the night to start the 3rd period on a backhander off the rush to put the Steelheads up 3-0. Moments later, Washkurak would find Duncan Penman who ripped a wrist shot from the face-off circle off the inside of the post. Dilauro stopped 8 shots in the period as the Steelheads goaltending would finish the night perfect making 24 saves on route to a 4-0 Fish win.
Overage forward Nick Isaacson looks poised to have another strong offensive season as he finished the night with 2 goals. NHL Draft Picks Cole Schwindt and Keean Washkurak saw their strong off-ice work this summer translate to gameplay, each recording 2 assists in the win.
1st star - #19 Nick Isaacson (2 G, 5 SOG, +3)
2nd star - #31 Joe Ranger (16/16, 0 GA)
3rd start - #11 Cole Schwindt (2 A, 4 SOG, +3)
Pre-season action will continue for the Steelheads at 7:00 PM on Saturday night as they take on the Oshawa Generals at the Paramount Fine Foods Centre, Community Rink 2. Tickets are just $5 at the gate!
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Knights Start Preseason with a Win - London Knights
- Storm Shutout by Steelheads 4-0 in Pre-Season Opener - Guelph Storm
- Rangers' Rally Beats Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- IceDogs Fall to Colts - Niagara IceDogs
- Greyhounds Trim Roster Following Luke Williams Memorial - Soo Greyhounds
- Anthony Agostinelli Commits to the IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Frontenacs Have Strong Showing in 5-4 Shootout Loss to Generals - Kingston Frontenacs
- A Promising Start in Orangeville - Mississauga Steelheads
- Colts Win Pre-Season Opener - Barrie Colts
- Attack Set Roster for 2019 Preseason - Owen Sound Attack
- Rangers Score Four Unanswered Goals To Beat North Bay 6-5 - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Receive Commitments from Bressette, Kyrou, and Morton - Erie Otters
- Wolves Trim Roster to 30 - Sudbury Wolves
- Five Players Commit to Wolves - Sudbury Wolves
- Spirit Drop Preseason Opener to Peterborough - Saginaw Spirit
- Spirit Receive Commitments from Bulovs, Mancini - Saginaw Spirit
- CIBC Wood Gundy Peterborough Partners with Petes to Present 2019 Pre-Season - Peterborough Petes
- Ryan Campbell Commits to the Niagara IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Niagara IceDogs Complete Trade with Kitchener Rangers - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Sign Matteo Drobac to Standard Players Agreement - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers and IceDogs Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- Storm Sign Free Agent Colin Campbell - Guelph Storm
- Spirit Season Tickets Available for Pick Up - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.