Colts Win Pre-Season Opener
The Barrie Colts traveled to Port Colborne, Ontario today to take on the Niagara IceDogs in the first game of the preseason.
The IceDogs and Colts traded chances throughout the first period but both failed to put anything in the back of the net. New Colts Clarke and Del Monte both had good starts, Clarke showed flashes of his offensive talent joining in on a couple rushes in the first. Jet Greaves showed no signs of off-season rust as he was shutting the door on every IceDogs opportunity in the period.
The second period had a little more action as the IceDogs scored two goals in quick succession, first from Tomasino, with assists from Doherty and De Simone, and the second scored by De Simone with the assist from Doherty. About halfway through the period the Colts struck back courtesy of Dalton Duhart who ripped home a slapshot from the high slot with assists coming from Luke Bignell and Aidan Brown.
Jake Tortora left the game midway through the second period and did not return with an apparent head injury after taking multiple high hits in the same shift.
The third period began with the Colts on the powerplay but were unable to score. The Colts continued to pressure all throughout the third but couldn't bury until late in the period when the Colts pulled the goalie. Tyson Foerster was the hero scoring the tying goal with 41 seconds remaining on a great pass from Ryan Suzuki. Vinny Prospal got the second assist on the game tying goal.
The game went straight to the shootout where it took four rounds to find the first and only goal of the shootout courtesy of Tyson Foerster. Jet Greaves stopped all four shooters he faced in the shootout.
The final score was 3-2 in favour of the Colts. The boys are back in action again on Sunday as they are on the road once again to take on the Owen Sound Attack.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from August 30, 2019
- Knights Start Preseason with a Win - London Knights
- Storm Shutout by Steelheads 4-0 in Pre-Season Opener - Guelph Storm
- Rangers' Rally Beats Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- IceDogs Fall to Colts - Niagara IceDogs
- Greyhounds Trim Roster Following Luke Williams Memorial - Soo Greyhounds
- Anthony Agostinelli Commits to the IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Frontenacs Have Strong Showing in 5-4 Shootout Loss to Generals - Kingston Frontenacs
- A Promising Start in Orangeville - Mississauga Steelheads
- Colts Win Pre-Season Opener - Barrie Colts
- Attack Set Roster for 2019 Preseason - Owen Sound Attack
- Rangers Score Four Unanswered Goals To Beat North Bay 6-5 - Kitchener Rangers
- Otters Receive Commitments from Bressette, Kyrou, and Morton - Erie Otters
- Wolves Trim Roster to 30 - Sudbury Wolves
- Five Players Commit to Wolves - Sudbury Wolves
- Spirit Drop Preseason Opener to Peterborough - Saginaw Spirit
- Spirit Receive Commitments from Bulovs, Mancini - Saginaw Spirit
- CIBC Wood Gundy Peterborough Partners with Petes to Present 2019 Pre-Season - Peterborough Petes
- Ryan Campbell Commits to the Niagara IceDogs - Niagara IceDogs
- Niagara IceDogs Complete Trade with Kitchener Rangers - Niagara IceDogs
- Bulldogs Sign Matteo Drobac to Standard Players Agreement - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rangers and IceDogs Complete Trade - Kitchener Rangers
- Storm Sign Free Agent Colin Campbell - Guelph Storm
- Spirit Season Tickets Available for Pick Up - Saginaw Spirit
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Barrie Colts Stories
- Barrie Colts Welcome Two New Additions After the 2020 CHL Import Draft
- Barrie Colts Reach 37,500 Meals Donated to Those in Need
- OHL Commissioner's Statement Regarding the 2020/2021 Season
- Foerster Named to National Junior Team Summer Showcase
- Clarke Named to Hlinka Gretzky Cup Under-18 Summer Selection Camp Roster