2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff
Miami, FL - Concacaf has confirmed the match dates for the 2021 edition of its flagship club competition, the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL).
Following the successful conclusion of the 2020 SCCL in December, which saw Tigres UANL crowned champions after defeating Los Angeles FC in a compelling final, Concacaf has been working with stakeholders to create a calendar for the eagerly anticipated return of this competition.
The tournament, which usually starts in mid-February each year, will now start in April due to scheduling and travel challenges associated with the pandemic.
The competition will formally begin with the draw on February 10, when each club will learn their Round of 16 opponent and their route to the final. The draw event will be held in Miami, Florida and will include the participation of club Head Coaches and football legends from the Concacaf region.
The 2021 SCCL matchups will commence with the Round of 16 played between April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg). The Round of 16 will be followed by home and away quarterfinal matches in late-April and early-May, semifinals in August and, in an exciting development to this year's edition of the competition, a single leg SCCL final which will be played in October.
The host for the single leg final will be the highest performing club in the earlier rounds of the 2021 SCCL, based on wins, draws and, if required, goal difference. The calendar for the draw and the competition dates is as follows:
2021 SCCL Match Dates
Draw: February 10
Round of 16: April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg)
Quarterfinals: April 27-29 (first leg) and May 4-6 (second leg)
Semifinals: August 10-12 (first leg) and August 24-26 (second leg)
Final: October 26-28 (single leg)
Clubs from across the region qualified for the 2021 SCCL through domestic leagues and cup competitions and the Scotiabank Concacaf League, which qualifies six clubs to the SCCL.
"Despite significant challenges last year, the 2020 edition of the SCCL was a major highlight for Concacaf and for club football in the region. It included great matchups which fans enjoyed in record numbers both in attendance in the early rounds and on TV throughout the tournament", said Concacaf President and FIFA Vice President, Victor Montagliani.
"We want to build on that in 2021, the 60th anniversary year for our Confederation, with another great competition to crown a regional club champion who will also qualify for the 2021 FIFA Club World Cup. I want to thank the participating clubs and their leagues for their support in delivering this new SCCL calendar for this year and I look forward to a great draw on February 10th", added Montagliani.
The full list of competing clubs in the 2021 SCCL is as follows:
Canada: Forge FC or Toronto FC*
Costa Rica: Deportivo Saprissa and LD Alajuelense
Dominican Republic: Club Atletico Pantoja
Haiti: Arcahaie FC
Honduras: CD Marathon and CD Olimpia
Mexico: Club América, Club LeÃ³n, Cruz Azul and CF Monterrey
Nicaragua: Real EstelÃ FC
USA: Atlanta United FC, Columbus Crew SC, Philadelphia Union and Portland Timbers
*The winner of the Canadian Championship (date TBD) between Forge FC and Toronto FC will compete in the 2021 SCCL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2021
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron - Atlanta United FC
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Forward and 2015 Amway Canadian Championship Winner Kekuta Manneh - Austin FC
- Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson - Inter Miami CF
- Phil Neville: "One Thing That Really Excites Me Is to Prove People WrongÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Marcus Ferkranus - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Columbus Crew SC
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April - Portland Timbers
- LAFC and Defender Jesus David Murillo Agree to New Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Loans Forward Jordan Morris to Swansea City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC Loans Defender Miguel Nazarit to Colombian Side Independiente Santa Fe - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Sends Midfielder Sebastian Berhalter on Loan
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Free Agent Defender Marlon Hairston
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils Kit Inspired by World-Class New Crew Stadium
- Columbus Crew SC Unveils Latest Renderings of New Crew Stadium
- Columbus Crew SC Announces 2021 Preseason Schedule