Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson
Inter Miami co-owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham held a press conference to introduce new head coach Phil Neville and CSO & Sporting Director Chris Henderson. Mas and Beckham took the opportunity to share their excitement for their new hires, as well as what motivated them to bring the pair onboard the Inter Miami project.
"The decisions we made to bring Chris Henderson and Phil Neville onboard don't necessarily have to do with just wins and losses or points that we accumulated in 2020. For us, it goes beyond that, it goes to what happens on non-gamedays, it goes to building a culture of making players better here: from aspects of sports performance, medical, training, nutrition, education, so many factors and facets that go into excelling on the field," said Mas. "These moves were precipitated by the fact that we as owners aspire, we won't settle for mediocrity. We think that bringing in new leadership can help us excel in all of the areas that will make us a better Club and a better team and establish a DNA and culture that is a reflection of ownership's aspirations. We felt that Chris and Phil were the leaders that we need for the following chapters of Inter Miami in 2021 and beyond."
"It was important to install the culture and the hard work that we expect at this Club. We've spoken about the young players around our city and the real opportunity and potential that we have. We need people within this Club that are going to work with these young kids. It's not just about our First Team, it's about the Academy, it's about USL, it's about the potential that runs through this Club, and that was the most important thing for me to see and understand, and it's one of the reasons we've made the changes that we have," added Beckham.
The development of players, regardless of age or status, was a key element for Beckham in the search.
"One of the reasons I felt Phil would be a great fit within this Club is because there's huge potential; huge potential to work with our academy kids, huge potential to work with our USL boys, and there's huge potential within our Club and our First Team where there are talented young players combined with experienced players," stated Beckham. "I know what Phil is like as a personality, I know what he's like as a coach and I know what he's like as a human being. He's trustworthy, he's loyal and he's hardworking. We wanted to bring that into our Club, to bring that into our training facility."
"As a player I relied on Phil to keep making those runs by the side of me - I never gave him the ball because I felt I was a better crosser of the ball than he was, so he never got those," Beckham added with a smile. "But I knew that he would keep on making those runs because he knew that was what was best for the team. He would make those decisions as a coach, not just of our Club, but of our Academy system and USL team, and as a leader. That's why he's here in this position...He's the right man for the job."
In regards to the decision to hire Henderson, Mas and Beckham reiterated their belief that he is a perfect fit.
"Chris earned this job. This is a very attractive position and I think Chris is uber-qualified for what we want to do," said Mas.
"Chris' experience speaks for itself, his history speaks for itself. He's a hard worker and the experience that he has will be so important for this Club," added Beckham.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2021
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron - Atlanta United FC
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Forward and 2015 Amway Canadian Championship Winner Kekuta Manneh - Austin FC
- Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson - Inter Miami CF
- Phil Neville: "One Thing That Really Excites Me Is to Prove People WrongÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Marcus Ferkranus - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Columbus Crew SC
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April - Portland Timbers
- LAFC and Defender Jesus David Murillo Agree to New Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Loans Forward Jordan Morris to Swansea City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC Loans Defender Miguel Nazarit to Colombian Side Independiente Santa Fe - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.