Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron
ATLANTA - Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons today announced both franchises will retire the No. 44 for the 2021 MLS and NFL seasons in honor of Henry "Hank" Aaron, who passed away earlier today at the age of 86.
"To celebrate the incredible life and career of baseball legend Hank Aaron, we are proud to retire the No. 44 this season for our Atlanta United and ATLUTD 2 teams," said Atlanta United President Darren Eales. "He was an American hero, a trailblazer and arguably Atlanta's greatest sports icon. The impact he had on our city, our country and the sports world is immeasurable. Hank Aaron will undoubtedly live on through the countless lives he touched and through the young athletes across the globe who he has inspired."
"When you look at icons of Atlanta and the sport of baseball, Hank Aaron is undoubtedly included in that group," said Falcons President & CEO Rich McKay. "But he was more than an icon in sports, he was an icon off the field as well in how he carried himself and treated others. Because of that we are honored to celebrate his awe-inspiring life by retiring No. 44 this season for our Atlanta Falcons. He was a true icon and yet when you encountered him, he always made you feel special. He was a great ambassador for the game of baseball, a great ambassador of the City of Atlanta and quite simply a great person."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2021
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron - Atlanta United FC
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Forward and 2015 Amway Canadian Championship Winner Kekuta Manneh - Austin FC
- Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson - Inter Miami CF
- Phil Neville: "One Thing That Really Excites Me Is to Prove People WrongÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Marcus Ferkranus - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Columbus Crew SC
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April - Portland Timbers
- LAFC and Defender Jesus David Murillo Agree to New Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Loans Forward Jordan Morris to Swansea City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC Loans Defender Miguel Nazarit to Colombian Side Independiente Santa Fe - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Atlanta United to Compete in 2024 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup
- Atlanta United Falls 1-0 at Columbus Crew
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew
- Atlanta United Announces 2024 Roster Ahead of Season Opener
- Atlanta United Partners with SweetWater Brewing Company