Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April
PORTLAND, Ore. - Concacaf today confirmed the match dates for the 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League (SCCL), which will begin with Round of 16 matches in April. The competition will formally begin with the draw on February 10, when each club will learn their Round of 16 opponent and their route to the final.
The 2021 SCCL matchups will commence with the Round of 16 played between April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg). The Round of 16 will be followed by home and away quarterfinal matches in late April and early May, semifinals in August and, in an exciting development to this year's edition of the competition, a single-leg SCCL final, which will be played in October. The host for the single-leg final will be the highest performing club in the earlier rounds of the 2021 SCCL, based on wins, draws and, if required, goal difference.
The Portland Timbers qualified for the 2021 SCCL after defeating Orlando City SC 2-1 in the MLS is Back Tournament Final on Aug. 11, 2020. The 2021 edition of the competition marks Portland's third appearance in the Concacaf Champions League tournament in the last eight seasons after qualifying as MLS Cup champions in 2015 and qualifying for the 2014-15 edition of the tournament by finishing with the best overall record from the conference opposite the MLS Supporters' Shield winner in 2013.
Portland is one of four teams from the United States to qualify for the 2021 SCCL, being joined by Columbus Crew SC (2020 MLS Cup champions), the Philadelphia Union (2020 MLS Supporters' Shield champions) and Atlanta United FC (2019 U.S. Open Cup champions).
The 2021 Concacaf Champions League tournament marks the 56th overall edition of the annual international club competition, while the eventual winner of the tournament will earn a berth in the 2021 FIFA Club World Cup.
The tournament, which usually starts in mid-February each year, will now start in April due to scheduling and travel challenges associated with the pandemic.
The calendar for the draw and the competition dates is as follows:
2021 SCCL Match Dates
Draw: February 10
Round of 16: April 6-8 (first leg) and April 13-15 (second leg)
Quarterfinals: April 27-29 (first leg) and May 4-6 (second leg)
Semifinals: August 10-12 (first leg) and August 24-26 (second leg)
Final: October 26-28 (single leg)
The full list of competing clubs in the 2021 SCCL is as follows:
Canada: Forge FC or Toronto FC*
Costa Rica: Deportivo Saprissa and LD Alajuelense
Dominican Republic: Club Atlético Pantoja
Haiti: Arcahaie FC
Honduras: C.D. MarathÃ³n and CD Olimpia
Mexico: Club América, Club LeÃ³n, Cruz Azul and CF Monterrey
Nicaragua: Real EstelÃ FC
USA: Atlanta United FC, Columbus Crew SC, Philadelphia Union and Portland Timbers
*The winner of the Canadian Championship (date TBD) between Forge FC and Toronto FC will compete in the 2021 SCCL.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 22, 2021
- Atlanta United and the Atlanta Falcons to Retire No. 44 for 2021 Season in Honor of Hank Aaron - Atlanta United FC
- A Versatile Team Player: What to Expect from Philip Mayaka in MLS - Colorado Rapids
- Austin FC Acquires Free Agent Forward and 2015 Amway Canadian Championship Winner Kekuta Manneh - Austin FC
- Co-Owners Jorge Mas and David Beckham Welcome Phil Neville and Chris Henderson - Inter Miami CF
- Phil Neville: "One Thing That Really Excites Me Is to Prove People WrongÃ¢ÂÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Sign Defender Marcus Ferkranus - LA Galaxy
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Columbus Crew SC
- 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Set for April Kickoff - Atlanta United FC
- Timbers to Begin 2021 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Tournament Play in April - Portland Timbers
- LAFC and Defender Jesus David Murillo Agree to New Deal - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Loans Forward Jordan Morris to Swansea City - Seattle Sounders FC
- Nashville SC Loans Defender Miguel Nazarit to Colombian Side Independiente Santa Fe - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Acquires American Goalkeeper Brandon Austin - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- NWSL Announces 2021 Allocated Players List
- Timbers Unveil 2021 Primary Jersey
- Timbers, Thorns FC Announce Multi-Year Partnership with TikTok
- Timbers Kick off 2021 Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 Play on April 6
- Marvin Loria Called up by Costa Rica for Pre-Olympic CONCACAF Qualifying Camp