Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario ReignFebruary 24, 2013 - ECHL (ECHL) - Stockton Thunder Press Release
TIME: 4:00 p.m.
SITE: Stockton Arena
RADIO: 1280 AM KWSX/StocktonThunder.com (AmericaOne)/92.5 FM (arena feed)
Stockton Thunder: Edmonton Oilers
Ontario Reign: Los Angeles Kings
NEXT HOME GAME
Sunday, Mar. 3 vs. Ontario Reign (4:00 p.m.)
REPLICA JERSEY GIVEAWAY/FAMILY DAY (presented by Sutter Gould Medical Foundation, Farmers Insurance Company, 99.3 KJOY, Financial Center Credit Union, KHOP 95.1 and Instant Tax Service)
GIVEAWAY/PROMOTION: FAMILY DAY (presented by Sutter Gould Medical Foundation, 99.3 KJOY and Farmers Insurance), YOUTH PUCK GIVEAWAY (presented by Angelina's Spaghetti House and 97.7/98.3 KWIN)
NATIONAL ANTHEM: Morada Middle School
PUBLIC ADDRESS ANNOUNCER: John Taylor
IN-ARENA EMCEE: Alan Sanchez
On the cusp of clinching a Kelly Cup Playoff berth, the Thunder returns home today at Stockton Arena, facing the Ontario Reign for its fourth game in five days. The Thunder is 2-3-1 in the season series and last faced the Reign on Friday in a 4-2 loss at Citizens Business Bank Arena. The Thunder leads the all-time series over Ontario with a record of 25-16-6. The Thunder is in the middle of facing Ontario five times in six games. The Thunder has a "magic number" of twopoints to secure a tie for a Kelly Cup Playoff berth.
2012-13 Head to Head Schedule: (2-3-1)
Fri. Oct. 12 Ontario 2 at Stockton 1
Sat. Oct. 13 Stockton 4 at Ontario 0
Fri. Nov. 30 Stockton 4 at Ontario 5 (OT)
Fri. Feb. 15 Ontario 1 at Stockton 2 (OT)
Wed. Feb. 20 Stockton 1 at Ontario 4
Fri. Feb. 22 at Ontario 7:00 p.m.
Sun. Feb. 24 Ontario 4:00 p.m.
Sat. Mar. 2 at Ontario 6:00 p.m.
Sun. Mar. 3 Ontario 4:00 p.m.
Sun. Mar. 10 Ontario 4:00 p.m.
Fri. Mar. 15 at Ontario 7:00 p.m.
Sat. Mar. 16 Ontario 7:30 p.m.
NOTE OF THE NIGHT
The Thunder is 14-3-3 when leading after one period this season.
LAST THREE GAMES:
ONT 4 - STK 2 (2/22/13): Derek Couture scored two goals and broke a 2-2 tie with 3:52 left in the third period to help the Ontario Reign send the Stockton Thunder (28-22-9, 65 points) to a 4-2 loss before 7,793 fans at Citizens Business Bank Arena on Friday. The Thunder, who were fighting their way through their third game in three nights, held a 2-1 lead through two periods.Stockton ended a four game road trip at 2-2-0 and had a goal each in the second period from Mike Little and Colten Hayes.
STK 4 - BAK 1 (2/21/13): Goaltender Olivier Roy made 38 saves and the Stockton Thunder (28-21-9, 65 points) never trailed, using three unanswered goals to sink the Bakersfield Condors in a 4-1 victory before 8,023 fans at Rabobank Arena on Thursday. Shawn Weller earned his first goal with the Thunder while Matt Bergland, Tony DeHart and Matt Reber also netted goals in the second and third period.
ONT 4 - STK 1 (2/20/13): The Ontario Reign used three goals in the third period to stop a rally by the Stockton Thunder (27-21-9, 63 points) and skate away in a 4-1 win before a crowd of 5,591 at Citizens Business Bank Arena on Wednesday. The Thunder fell to 1-1-0 on its four game road trip and got on the board in the third period with a key goal by Matt Bergland. The Reign, who countered 13 seconds later and buried the game's two final goals, never looked back and got 21 saves by Dusty Carlson in net.
- Maxime Boisclair is 1 point away from 100 in his ECHL career
- Garet Hunt is 3 points away from 100 in his ECHL career
- Shawn Weller is 14 games away from 100 in his ECHL career
ARCOBELLO MAKES IT NINE
On Feb. 6, former Thunder forward Mark Arcobello became the ninth player to make his debut in the National Hockey League after appearing in a Thunder uniform (2010-11). Arcobello suited up for the Edmonton Oilers in a game at Rexall Place against the Dallas Stars and recorded two blocked shots. Before his debut, Arcobello had 39 points in 43 American Hockey League games with the Oklahoma City Barons. He earned 20 points in 33 games with the Thunder and was named Most Valuable Player of the 2011 ECHL All-Star Classic in Bakersfield as a representative of Stockton. He had a hat trick and became the eighth player in All-Star Classic history to score at least three goals in one game.
Those to play in Stockton and then make their debut in the NHL are:
- (C) Mark Arcobello
- (RW) Troy Bodie
- (G) Devan Dubnyk
- (C) Milan Kytnar
- (RW) Colin McDonald
- (C) Ryan O'Marra
- (C) Tim Sestito
- (LW) Liam Reddox
- (D) Bryan Young
The Thunder was boosted by recent additions to their lineup with goaltender Olivier Roy and defenseman Brandon Davidson assigned to the team from Oklahoma City on last Tuesday. Roy was named Thunder "Rookie of the Year" last season when he broke the team record with four shutouts. Davidson, an Oilers sixth round selection in the 2010 NHL Entry Draft, had a career high 13 goals in 69 games last season with Regina (WHL) and added 49 points (3rd in team scoring), earning a selection on the WHL Second All-Star Team (Eastern Conference).
As of today, both players are enjoying streaks since their reassignment:
- Davidson has 6 points in 6 games
- Roy has 127 saves in 132 shots faced
HOME SWEET HOME
The Thunder has made Stockton Arena ideal for home ice advantage this season with a record of 17-7-3. Below is a look at key figures for the Thunder at home this season:
At home this season, the Thunder has:
- A record of 17-7-3
- Totaled 11 games of scoring four goals or more
- Outshot the opposition 14 times this season
- Posted 19 games of 30 shots on goal or more
- Collected at least one power play goal in 15 of the last 17 games
THE DEFENSE DOESN'T REST
During the month of February, the Thunder defense has limited opponents to three goals or less in each of the six games featuring a win or shootout loss (Feb. 9 at Alaska - 3-2 shootout loss). The Thunder defense allowed just two goals or less in four of the previous six games.
ALL'S WELL THAT ENDS WELL(ER)
Thunder forward Shawn Weller has collected four points in the last four games and had an assist on Friday at Ontario. Weller, a former captain of Bakersfield and South Carolina and an ECHL All-Star in 2010, was acquired by the Thunder from South Carolina on Jan. 25 in exchange for defenseman Cameron Brodie and future considerations.
NO LITTLE ACCOMPLISHMENT
Thunder defenseman Mike Little played in his 100th career ECHL game on Dec. 27 at Bakersfield and helped out offensively with an assist in a 4-2 Thunder win. Little was named to the ECHL All-Rookie Team last season and was the first selection in Thunder history. Little also played in his 100th career Thunder game Jan. 9 at Colorado. Little had a goal on Friday at Ontario.
OH CAPTAIN MY CAPTAIN
Garet Hunt was named the sixth captain in Thunder history on Oct. 12, taking the "C" for the first time in his career for full-time duty. Hunt served as an alternate captain for the Thunder last season and has helped guide the team to the playoffs for four straight seasons since his 2008-09 rookie campaign. Hunt is the Thunder all-time leader with 303 games played.
2012-13 MEDIA GUIDE AVAILABLE ONLINE
The Stockton Thunder 2012-13 media guide is available online in .pdf form at http://www.stocktonthunder.com/team/history/. The guide can be accessed by following the link and clicking "2012-2013 Media Guide."
ECHL WESTERN CONFERENCE PLAYOFF STANDINGS
(Top-8 in the conference qualify for Kelly Cup playoffs)
Rank Western Conference GP W L OTL SOL PTS PCT GF GA STK P10 SO
1 x * - Alaska Aces 57 39 12 2 4 84 0.737 186 142 0-1-0-0 7-1-1-1 4-4
2 x * - Ontario Reign 56 38 13 3 2 81 0.723 204 154 3-0-0-0 5-3-2-0 6-2
3 x Idaho Steelheads 56 35 15 1 5 76 0.679 216 163 3-0-0-1 6-3-0-1 2-5
4 Stockton Thunder 59 28 22 5 4 65 0.551 184 183 0-1-0-0 4-5-0-1 1-4
5 Las Vegas Wranglers 55 28 22 2 3 61 0.555 158 152 1-0-0-0 7-3-0-0 5-3
6 Colorado Eagles 54 26 24 2 2 56 0.519 185 170 2-0-1-0 5-4-1-0 3-2
7 Utah Grizzlies 54 21 26 3 4 49 0.454 163 215 0-1-0-0 3-6-1-0 4-4
8 San Francisco Bulls 55 20 28 1 6 47 0.427 150 198 1-0-0-0 3-6-0-1 2-6
9 Bakersfield Condors 59 18 36 2 3 41 0.347 149 211 0-2-0-0 5-5-0-0 6-3
* Division leader
x Teams who have clinched a playoff spot.
y Teams who have clinched the division title
z Team who has clinched the conference title, 1st round bye
2013 Playoff March Notes -
- The Thunder has 13 regular season games remaining and a magic number of 2 points to clinch a playoff berth.
- The Thunder can clinch a playoff berth today with a win.
- Stockton has regular season games remaining against the following teams:
- Bakersfield (1)
- Ontario (6)
- Las Vegas (2)
- San Francisco (3)
- Idaho (1)
- In the Western Conference, postseason berths will be awarded to the first-place team in each division and the next six teams in the conference, based on points . The division winners will be seeded first and second and will play the eighth-place finisher and the seventh-place finisher, respectively, while the third-place finisher will meet the sixth-place finisher and the fourth-place finisher will meet the fifth-place finisher. The conference semifinals will have the winner of the first-place and eighth-place matchup playing the winner of the fourth-place and fifth-place game while the winner of the second-place and seventh-place game will face the winner of the third-place and sixth-place matchup.
- IF THE KELLY CUP PLAYOFFS BEGAN TODAY: the Thunder would face the Las Vegas Wranglers in the Western Conference Quarterfinal.
- Currently, 67 points guarantees a playoff spot as the 9th place Bakersfield Condors can only amass 67 points this season. The Thunder owns the tie-breaker over Bakersfield for a playoff spot.
- The Thunder is two wins away from surpassing the 30-win plateau for the sixth time in club history (previously 2006-07, 2008-09, 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12)
- TIE-BREAKER: The tiebreaker for the Western Conference if two teams tie will be: 1. Wins, regular season (excluding shootout wins); 2. Goal differential; 3. Points, head-to-head (for two teams that have not played the same number of home games against the other tied team, the first game(s) played in the city that has the extra home game(s) shall not be included) ; 4. Winning percentage, division (if tied teams are from same division; if not, skip to 5); 5. Winning percentage, conference; 6. Goals for, regular season; 7. Goals against, regular season; 8. Coin toss
The tiebreaker for the Western Conference if three teams are tied will be: 1. Wins, regular season (excluding shootout wins); 2. Goal differential ; 3. Higher winning percentage earned in games against each other (for two teams that have not played the same number of home games against the other tied team, the first game(s) played in the city that has the extra home game(s) shall not be included) ; 4. Winning percentage, division; 5. Winning percentage, conference; 6. Goals for, regular season; 7. Goals against, regular season; 8. Coin toss . When two teams remain after the third or other teams are eliminated during any step above, the tiebreaker reverts to Step 1 of the two-team format.
- Last season, the Thunder clinched its sixth straight Kelly Cup Playoff berth with the 5th seed in the Western Conference and a 34-33-5 record (73 points)
ECHL Stories from February 24, 2013
- K-Wings Weekly - Kalamazoo Wings
- Thunder Shock Reign - Ontario Reign
- Coleman, Aces Shut Out Wranglers 1-0 - Alaska Aces
- Thunder Clinch Playoff Berth Thanks To Four Power Play Goals - Stockton Thunder
- Aces Blank Wranglers 1-0 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Titans Sweep Weekend Home-And-Home With Reading After 5-3 Win - Trenton Titans
- Delmas Ties Shutout Record, Blanking Komets - Wheeling Nailers
- Evansville IceMen Weekly - Evansville IceMen
- Kalamazoo Defeats Elmira 3-2 in Overtime - Kalamazoo Wings
- Charles-Olivier Roussel Sends Cyclones Past Walleye 2-1 in OT - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Drop Wild One to Kalamazoo - Elmira Jackals
- Connolly's Hat Trick Leads Road Warriors to Victory - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Win Gives Eagles Five of Six Points From Weekend Set With Grizzlies - Colorado Eagles
- Colorado Wins Battle Of Shorthanded Teams - Utah Grizzlies
- Road Warriors Slip Past Stingrays 3-2 - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - February 24 - ECHL
- ECHL announces fines, suspensions - ECHL
- IceMen Weekly Notes - Evansville IceMen
- Ryan Ginand Comes Back from Houston - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Ontario Reign - Stockton Thunder
- Road Warriors Sign Drew Baker - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Titans GameDay at Reading, February 24 - Game 56 (Away 27) - Trenton Titans
- Goaltender Brandon Anderson Reassigned to Hershey - Reading Royals
- Elmira Jackals Game Preview - Elmira Jackals
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Toledo - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Game Preview: Stingrays Wrap up Weekend Series vs. Greenville Today - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Today - February 24 - ECHL
- Alaska's Point Streak Ends in 4-1 Defeat to Las Vegas - Alaska Aces
- Wranglers Fold Aces, Win 4-1 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Ontario Holds on to Edge Bakersfield, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Reign Topple Condors 4-3 - Ontario Reign
- SF Bulls Reel in Steelheads, 4-3 in a Shootout - San Francisco Bulls
- Steelheads Squander Lead in Marathon Contest - Idaho Steelheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.