D.C. United Academy UpdateFebruary 11, 2013 - Major League Soccer (MLS) - D.C. United Press Release
The U-18s will play the Aegean Hawks men's league team tomorrow at 8 p.m. in Arlington, Va., and the U-16s, split into two squads, will scrimmage two Freestate Soccer Alliance teams at 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., respectively. The spring season officially kicks off on March 2 for the United Academy teams, with the U-18s and U-16s set to take on Baltimore Bays Chelsea in Owings Mill, Md., at 1 p.m. and 3:30 p.m., respectively. In the 2012-13 season thus far, the U-16 squad has not lost a single match, sporting a record of 11-0-2, notching 40 goals and conceding only 10, with leading scorer Gerson Umana (Lorton, Va.; Prince William Soccer, Inc.) collecting 10 goals in the process. The U-18s possess an 8-4-1 mark, with Denis Najar (Alexandria, Va.) leading the offensive charge, having already tallied six strikes on the season. The U-16s sit in first place in the Atlantic Division while the U-18s hold third place.
This weekend, five teams from D.C. United's U-13, U-14, and U-15 Pre-Academy will feature in a President's Day tournament, held at the Maryland SoccerPlex in Boyds, Md. The showcase's schedule is such that all of the United Pre-Academy teams will play three matches in as many days and will offer exposure to collegiate scouts looking for young talent in the area.
Last year, the U-15s and U-14s performed well at the tournament, going 2-0-1 and 1-1-1, respectively. This year, those squads will split, and the U-13 Pre-Academy team will also feature in the tournament, for a total of five participating Black-and-Red squads. United's U-15s will look to have a better showing against a familiar foe in FC Westchester, the team that handed them its only loss in last year's tournament. Both of the U-15 squads will have a crack at the New York club, once on Saturday, Feb. 16 and again on Sunday, Feb. 17.
Major League Soccer Stories from February 11, 2013
- Chivas USA Set to Face L.A. Blues in Fifth Preseason Match - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Sounders FC News & Notes - Seattle Sounders FC
- #RapidsJersey Unveiling to Take Place February 26 - Colorado Rapids
- Bright Dike Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Weekly Update - New England Revolution
- D.C. United Academy Update - D.C. United
- D.C. United Announces Promotional Schedule for 2013 Season - D.C. United
- San Jose Earthquakes, Visa to Celebrate 2012 Supporters' Shield Title on Opening Night - San Jose Earthquakes
- Chicago Fire Conclude Preseason with Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Real Salt Lake Weekly Update - Real Salt Lake
- Revs Sign Forward Chad Barrett, Defender Bilal Duckett - New England Revolution
- Sounders FC Announces Preseason Friendly - Seattle Sounders FC
- Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefer Band to Visit FC Dallas Stadium on May 4 - FC Dallas
- Red Bulls Acquire Midfielder Eric Alexander - New York Red Bulls
- Timbers Acquire Allocation Money from New York in Exchange for Midfielder Eric Alexander - Portland Timbers
- Major League Soccer Unveils "Jersey Week" - MLS
- Revs Youth Players Make College - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Red Bulls Name Rafael GonzÃ¡lez Goalkeeper Coach - New York Red Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.