Claude Julien Named 2013 Recipient of the PHPA Curt Leichner Distinguished Member AwardFebruary 11, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Providence Bruins
The award, named in honor of former PHPA Executive Director, Curt Leichner, is presented annually to a member of the hockey community who has made significant contributions towards the advancement of professional minor league hockey, and has continued to diligently serve the sport.
Julien played twelve seasons of professional hockey from 1980 - 1992 between the American Hockey League (AHL), International Hockey League (IHL), Central Hockey League (CHL), and National Hockey League (NHL). During the 1986-87 season, Julien was elected by his Fredericton Express teammates to serve as the team's PHPA Player Representative. His vision for the PHPA and demonstrated leadership abilities soon earned him the elected position as President of the PHPA player Executive Committee; a post he held for three seasons until his retirement after the 1991-92 season. As President, Julien initiated discussions towards an education program for players which is now known as the Career Enhancement Program, helped set up a severance trust fund for players, as well as a licensing program to help protect player likeness rights, among many others.
After his retirement as a player, Julien transitioned into coaching, winning the Memorial Cup with the Hull Olympiques of the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League before coaching three seasons with the Hamilton Bulldogs, sharing AHL Coach of the Year honors in 2003. He has held NHL Head Coaching positions with Montreal, New Jersey, and Boston where he was awarded the Jack Adams Trophy as NHL Coach of the Year in 2009, and won a Stanley Cup in 2011.
"There are very few people who have been as instrumental in advancing the Association and it's Members' rights as Claude Julien," said PHPA Executive Director Larry Landon. "We shared a common vision as to where the PHPA could go, and his passion and commitment were significant in allowing us to create a strong foundation on which we have built today's PHPA."
"Being recognized by the Professional Hockey Players' Association and receiving this award is a tremendous honor and one I am truly thankful for," said Julien. "Our collective goal at the PHPA was to improve the relationships between all parties involved in the game of hockey. I am proud that the vision we had for the Association became a reality and that many of the ideas and major initiatives we worked on helped advance relations between the leagues, management, and players."
Julien will be presented with the Award during the off-season. Previous winners include Doug Messier (2008), Don Cherry and Ron MacLean (2009), Arlo Goodwin (2010), Darcy Regier (2011), and Ron Jaros (2012).
American Hockey League Stories from February 11, 2013
- Bruins Fall to Pirates - Providence Bruins
- Lightning Recall Forward Richard Panik From Syracuse - Syracuse Crunch
- Hamilton Bulldogs Weekly - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Recall Defenseman Josh McFadden from Loan - San Antonio Rampage
- Falcons Home For Three Games This Weekend - Springfield Falcons
- Crunch Weekly - Syracuse Crunch
- Guenin Recalled by Anaheim; Admirals Release Two - Norfolk Admirals
- Former Hamilton Bulldogs Head Coach Claude Julien Named 2013 Recipient of PHPA Curt Leichner Award - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Dallas Recalls Antoine Roussel from Texas Stars - Texas Stars
- Sharks Solid as a Rock on Road - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Claude Julien Named 2013 Recipient of the PHPA Curt Leichner Distinguished Member Award - Providence Bruins
- Monarchs Weekly Report - Manchester Monarchs
- Wear Your Jersey To Work Day Part Of Hockey Weekend Across America - Oklahoma City Barons
- Barons Take Part In Bart & Nadia Health Festival - Oklahoma City Barons
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Amerks' Road Game At Lake Erie To Be Broadcast On Wber 90.5 Fm - Rochester Americans
- Dax Bobblehead Unveiled - Adirondack Phantoms
- San Antonio Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Take Two of Three in Week 18 - Rockford IceHogs
- Albany's Matt Anderson Named CCM/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- B's Assign Jamie Tardif To Providence - Providence Bruins
- Allen Returns, Kaprowich to ECHL - Peoria Rivermen
- IceCaps Recall Cody Sol from Colorado - St. John's IceCaps
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Bears Grab Three Points In Exciting Weekend - Hershey Bears
- Colins Agrees to PTO with Penguins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- McNeill Assigned to Wilkes-Barre/Scranton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.