Kevin Poulin makes 36 saves, Scott Campbell scores in lossJanuary 25, 2013 - American Hockey League (AHL) Bridgeport Sound Tigers
Scott Campbell gave the Sound Tigers a lead just 1:13 into the game. The Sound Tigers sustained pressure deep in the Norfolk zone on their first shift of the game, and Campbell sent Brandon DeFazio's centering pass through Admirals goaltender Frederik Andersen for his second goal of the season to make the score 1-0. The Admirals responded with scoring chances throughout the rest of the opening period, but Kevin Poulin made 16 saves in the first 20 minutes to preserve Bridgeport's one-goal lead.
The Sound Tigers ramped up the activity in the second period, outshooting the Admirals 15-8. The visitors' best chance came on a 2-on-1 rush as Nino Niederreiter and John Persson entered the Norfolk zone. Niederreiter was denied by Andersen's left pad, and Persson was stopped by Andersen's glove to end the Sound Tigers threat.
The Admirals finally solved Poulin and tied the score with 13:00 left in the third period. Poulin denied Dan Sexton on Pat Maroon's centering feed, but Maroon circled around the back of the net and put the rebound past Poulin to even the score at one. Norfolk then took the lead for good with 9:21 left in regulation. Maroon forced a turnover in the Sound Tigers zone and the puck came out to Brittain in the slot. Brittain sent a snap shot off of the right post and in for his fourth goal of the season to give the Admirals a 2-1 lead.
Bridgeport had opportunities down the stretch to net the equalizer, as Maroon was called for interference with 3:58 left in regulation. The Sound Tigers were unable to establish time in the Norfolk zone with the man-advantage, and were forced to pull Poulin in favor of the extra attacker. The Sound Tigers created traffic in front of Andersen in the final minute of play, but couldn't find the back of the net as Norfolk came away with the 2-1 win.
The Sound Tigers and Admirals will close out their two-game set tomorrow night at Norfolk Scope, with the game set to get underway at 7:15 p.m.
American Hockey League Stories from January 25, 2013
- San Antonio Slips By Texas 2-1 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Comeback Kids Do It Again - Norfolk Admirals
- Rockford edged out in 2-1 effort to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Wolves Enter All-Star Break on High Note, Beat Rockford 2-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Lehner Shines as B-Sens Defeat Crunch 1-0 in Shootout - Binghamton Senators
- Kevin Poulin makes 36 saves, Scott Campbell scores in loss - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Heat Extend Winning Streak to Five in Charlotte - Abbotsford Heat
- Whale defeat Manchester - Connecticut Whale
- Falcons' Winning Streak Ended by Sharks - Springfield Falcons
- Monarchs Can't Swim With Whale - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Head into All-star Break with 4-2 Win over Baby Pens - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Loot Pirates 6-1 - Providence Bruins
- Checkers' Comeback Bid Falls Short - Charlotte Checkers
- Phantoms Think Pink - Adirondack Phantoms
- Crunch suffer 1-0 shootout loss to Senators - Syracuse Crunch
- Griffins Fall 1-0 Before Sellout Crowd - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Sharks beat AHL's best 3-1 in Springfield - Worcester Sharks
- Grubauer Earns Third Star, Makes 25 Saves in Setback - Hershey Bears
- Devils Dominate Phantoms, 4-1 - Albany Devils
- Penguins Doubled Up by Americans - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceCaps rebound with win over Bears - St. John's IceCaps
- Unused Tickets From Tonight's Game to be Honored at Future 2012-13 Home Games - Norfolk Admirals
- Ludwig Returned To Allen - Houston Aeros
- Florida Panthers Recall C Quinton Howden - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Release Knuble, Add Mitera - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Host Pink in the Rink Survivor Skate on Tuesday - San Antonio Rampage
- Annual 'Tip-A-Riv' Dinner Coming February 27 - Peoria Rivermen
- Coyotes Recall Johnson From Portland - Portland Pirates
- Lebda Released from PTO - Rockford IceHogs
- Portland's Summers added to Eastern Conference AHL All-Star roster - AHL
- Rivals Battle at BMO Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Tonight's Admirals Game to be Played as Scheduled - Norfolk Admirals
- Rangers Return Kris Newbury To Whale - Connecticut Whale
- Anaheim Reassigns Sami Vatanen to Admirals - Norfolk Admirals
- Fewer Than 1,000 Tickets Available For Saturday's Game Against Hershey - Binghamton Senators
- Falcons Game Preview: Springfield Vs. Worcester, Game #41 - Springfield Falcons
- Goaltender Brandon Anderson Reassigned To Reading - Hershey Bears
- Rochester Americans Sign Hunter Bishop To Pro Tryout - Rochester Americans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.