Wilmington Rocks Pelicans in McElwee's DebutAugust 29, 2012 - Carolina League (CarL) Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The Blue Rocks scored all their runs in the fourth, fifth and eighth innings. They got two, three and four runs in those innings. The Pelicans reached base 13 times on ten hits and three walks but were only able to muster one run. Wilmington on the other hand singled the Pelicans to defeat. 16 of their 18 hits were singles and they went 9-18 with runners in scoring position.
Both starters were hit around but the difference was that Rocks starter Andy Ferguson was able to get out of innings while Pelicans starter Randol Rojas was not. Ferguson pitched five and a third innings allowing eight hits but only one run. Rojas allowed 11 hits in five innings and also allowed five runs, all earned.
Josh McElwee had an up and down debut that ended up being a successful one. He allowed three singles but also struck out two batters and got Lane Adams to pop up to end the sixth innings with the bases loaded.
Wilmington had four hitters with three hit games (Orlando Calixte, Nick Van Stratten, Lane Adams and Juan Graterol). Every hitter in the game except for Murray Watts, Jeremy Williams and Brett Nicholas had at least one hit. Chris Grayson had three hits for the Pelicans including two doubles.
Jimmy Reyes pitched a scoreless seventh inning followed by Daniel Lopez who was roughed around in the eighth on RBI by Calixte and Van Stratten. Francisco Mendoza came in with two runners on allowing both to score on an Adams double. The two Nick's, Graffeo and Rogers, shut down the Pelicans for the final three and a third innings.
The Pelicans square off against Wilmington again Tuesday in game two of the four game set. Kyle Devore of the birds takes on Matt Ridings at 6:35. Myrtle Beach returns home on Saturday, September 1st for the final series of the season. They will take on the Lynchburg Hillcats at 7:05PM. Playoff tickets go on sale at 10AM Tuesday morning at the Box Office and online. For more information or tickets visit myrtlebeachpelicans.com or call 843-918-6000.
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2012
- Lynchburg Deals Dash Tough 13-Inning Loss - Winston-Salem Dash
- La Stella Allows Five Hits in 13-Inning Hillcat Win - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Hedman's Blast Wins It: Salem Prevails 8-6 in 10 - Salem Red Sox
- Keys Fall to Brink of Elimination - Frederick Keys
- Pelicans Can't Comeback Late in Pitcher's Duel - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wild Seventh Spirits Rocks to Triumph - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Hankins' Big Hits Topple P-Nats - Carolina Mudcats
- Potomac Drops Critical Game to Carolina 6-2 - Potomac Nationals
- Braves Announce Three Current and Three Former Hillcats to the AZL - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Anthony Rendon and Jason Martinson to Arizona Fall League - Potomac Nationals
- Merrifield Wins Minker Award - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Carl & Calixte to Play in Arizona Fall League - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Blue Rocks Game Notes - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Dash Help Local Challenger Team Make Trip to Williamsport - Winston-Salem Dash
- Seven Mudcats to Play in Prestigious Arizona Fall League - Carolina Mudcats
- Pelicans First Team in MiLB to Offer Paperless Ticketing - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Courtney Hawkins Joins Dash - Winston-Salem Dash
- Early Pelican Power Not Enough as Rocks Comeback - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Wilmington Rocks Pelicans in McElwee's Debut - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans Put Playoff Tickets on Sale - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.