Klein Sets Single-Season Walks Record in 11-4 WinAugust 18, 2012 - American Association (AA) Gary SouthShore Railcats
Adam Klein led off with a double and Mike Massaro singled him home, moving all the way to third after a throwing error by left fielder Ridge Carpenter. Brian Kolb followed with a single to score Massaro and give the 'Cats a 2-0 lead. The RailCats are now outscoring their opponents 80-37 in the first inning this season.
The 'Cats went back to work in the second inning against Pheasants starter Mark Michael. Klein walked to load the bases with one out, setting a new RailCats single-season record with his 72nd walk. He broke his own record of 71 set in 2011. Massaro hit an RBI single to make it 3-0. With two out, Craig Maddox hit a two-run single and Mike Rohde followed with a two-run double to left to put the RailCats on top 7-0.
Klein also walked in the fourth, extending his league-leading and single-season franchise record total to 73. The league record is 88 walks, drawn by Phil Hawke of the Lincoln Saltdogs in 2011.
The 'Cats extended their lead in the bottom of the eighth. Cooper drove in one with a single, Klein made it 9-0 with a sacrifice fly and then Craig Maddox hit a two-run single to give the 'Cats an 11-0 lead.
The Pheasants finally got on the board in the ninth when it was already too late. Jared Bolden blooped a bases-loaded double to left that scored two, and then Reggie Abercrombie followed with a two-run single to make the score 11-4.
RailCats starter Morgan Coombs (5-7) got the win, pitching 6 1/3 shutout innings. He allowed six hits while walking three and striking out four. Mark Michael (6-7) was 2-0 in his two starts against Gary earlier this season, having allowed just one run in 14 innings, but he was tagged for seven runs in five innings of work.
The series finale will be on Sunday at 2:10. Will Krout (3-5, 3.83) will be on the bump for Gary as they look for the series sweep.
American Association Stories from August 18, 2012
- Lemurs Get 13 Hits in 4-1 Win over T-Bones - Kansas City T-Bones
- Pitching Leads Lemurs' to Win - Laredo Lemurs
- American Association Results - AA
- Wingnuts take second straight from Explorers - Sioux City Explorers
- Espinosa Excellent, Ortiz the Hero in 'Dogs Walk-Off - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Klein Sets Single-Season Walks Record in 11-4 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Power and Pitching Lead RedHawks to 10-1 Victory - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Big Inning Leads Wingnuts Victory - Wichita Wingnuts
- Gary Southshore Routs Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wild Card Lead Down to Just Three Games - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Ruwe Dazzles Again as Saints Win 4-1 - St. Paul Saints
- Rain Washes out Saturday Action - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Seven Game Homestand Fit for the Walking Dead - St. Paul Saints
- Wingnuts Stretch Lead with Exciting Win - Wichita Wingnuts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.