Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos VictoryAugust 16, 2012 - American Association (AA) El Paso Diablos
The Diablos' 40-40 record through 80 games is the first time the team has been even in the win-loss column since a win over Fargo-Moorhead back on May 18 made the team 1-1.
On the mound David Casillas (5-0) was shaky but pitched well enough to earn his fifth win. Casillas escaped a bases loaded jam in the first inning and allowed four earned runs over five innings with four strikeouts and four walks.
The Diablos also got some help from Wingnuts left fielder Wilberto Ortiz, who misplayed several fly balls in the early innings to allow the Diablos to jump out to a quick 5-0 lead. After Wichita rallied for four runs to turn the game into a one-run affair, Nelson stepped to the plate and hit a two run homer off Wichita starter Josh Lowey (13-4) to give El Paso breathing room.
The Diablos handed Lowey, the American Association leader with 13 victories, his first loss since July 26.
Tim Adleman retired all six batters he faced in the seventh and eighth innings and Marcel Prado threw a scoreless ninth for his 15th save.
The Diablos will go for the series victory in the finale against Wichita on Thursday behind Ramon Garcia. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. (6:05 MST).
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.