Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series
AMARILLO, Texas - The Amarillo Sox scored four runs in the first and three in the seventh to take the rubber match of their-three game series, as the Grand Prairie AirHogs failed to gain ground on either Laredo or El Paso in the South Division race in an 8-3 Sox win on Thursday night at Amarillo National Bank Sox Stadium.
Garret Rau and Adam Buschini started the bottom of the first inning with singles, and Tim Alberts knocked them both in with a triple to right-center. An RBI groundout brought Alberts in, and after Van Pope walked, Chuck Lofgren singled and Tyler Goodro hit a sacrifice fly to make it 4-0.
The AirHogs (45-39) got two back off Justin Garcia (9-3) in the fourth, but the Sox (40-44) answered with one on a two-out hit by Buschini through the left side off Nick DeBarr (12-6) to make it 5-2.
Garcia departed with two out and two on in the seventh, and Brian Myrow singled off Chad Povich to bring the AirHogs to within two. But John Alonso's fly ball died at the warning track, and the Sox took command of the game with a strange bottom of the inning.
Patrick Arlis reached when Keanon Simon could not hold on to a reaching catch in center to start the inning, and then Jairo Perez could not hold on to a wide throw from Yasutsugu Nishimoto at second. Ronnie Morales came in to relieve Jakob Cunningham and threw one pitch - a sacrifice bunt by Lofgren. Righty Derrick Miramontes then entered and got Tyler Goodro on strikes, but threw a wild pitch to Jake Luce that brought in a run.
After walking Luce, another pitch eluded catcher Alberto Espinosa and Van Pope came in to make it 7-3, before an error gave the Sox a third run in the inning.
Grand Prairie had no response against Povich, who got the last six outs on seven batters to finish off the game and earned his second save.
Notes: Trent Lockwood went 3-for-3 for the AirHogs but left the game in the sixth after cutting his leg on a take-out slide at second. He received stitches and is day-to-day.The AirHogs did not retire the Sox in order until the eighth inning.All five of Garcia's strikeouts were of the first three hitters in the AirHogs batting order.Grand Prairie's four errors led to two unearned runs, both in the seventh.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs head home to start a critical four-game series against the El Paso Diablos on Friday, August 17, at 7:05 p.m. That night is Tecate Jerseys off our Backs Night, as well as a free QuikTrip Night with vouches available at local QuikTrip stores. That night is also Pirate Night, with a performance by the Bilge Pumps. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 16, 2012
- Explorers defeat Rockland - Sioux City Explorers
- K.C. Hitters Stymied by Lincoln Pitching - Kansas City T-Bones
- Diablos Fall To Wichita, Settle For Split - El Paso Diablos
- McMurray Mashes, Butler Bulldozes as 'Dogs Take Series - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Scurry's Beauty Beats Laredo - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Scurry Ties Up Lemurs - Laredo Lemurs
- Sox Use Two Big Innings to Take Series - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Penprase Double Lifts RedHawks in 1-0 Victory over Goldeyes - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Salamida's Stellar Start Spoiled by Late Rally - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Score Six in Tenth to Take Series - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- AirHogs Come Back in Eighth to Gut out Win - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Committ Franchise Record Tying High Six Errors in 14-8 Loss in 10 - St. Paul Saints
- Comeback Falls Short against El Paso - Wichita Wingnuts
- Comeback Bid Falls Short, Goldeyes Beat RedHawks 8-6 - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- American Association Results - AA
- T-Bones Get Dozen Hits in 8-3 Win over Lincoln - Kansas City T-Bones
- Bolden's Five-Hit Night Leads Pheasants to Victory - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Fish Hang out for Big Win against RedHawks - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Explorers earn 11-1 win - Sioux City Explorers
- Nelson's Two Run Shot Paces Another Diablos Victory - El Paso Diablos
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs