Diaz, Van Mil PromotedAugust 14, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Akron Aeros
Shortstop Juan Diaz and RHP Loek van Mil have been promoted to Triple-A Columbus, while infielder Justin Toole has been transferred to Single-A Carolina. In corresponding moves, first baseman Jesus Aguilar has been promoted from Carolina for his first Double-A action, and newly acquired infielder Carlos Rojas has also been assigned to the Aeros.
Diaz, who earlier this season made his major league debut with the Tribe, hit .259 with 11 home runs and 52 RBI's in 96 games with the Aeros this year. He tied a club record with eight RBI's in a game at Bowie on July 8th. Van Mil, the tallest player in baseball at 7-foot-1, joined the Indians organization after an early May trade with the Angels, and went 1-1, 1.94 in 27 relief appearances for the Aeros.
Toole was 2-25, during a two-week stint with the Aeros, beginning on July 31st. He appeared in eight games and had one RBI.
Aguilar, 22, is a 6-foot-3, 240-pound, righthanded-hitting first baseman. He has spent the season with Carolina, hitting .277, with 12 homers, 25 doubles, and 58 RBI's in 107 games. He hit 23 homers last season in Class-A, and led the Indians minor league system with 82 RBI's. A native of Venezuela, Aguilar was selected to play for the World Team at this year's Future's Game in Kansas City. The Future's Game is played in conjunction with the Major League All-Star Game, and features the top prospects in baseball. Aguilar has been in the Tribe system since signing as a free agent in 2007.
Rojas, 28, was acquired Monday in trade with Baltimore in exchange for veteran lefty J.C. Romero, who had been pitching for Triple-A Columbus. Rojas began the season at Double-A Bowie, where he appeared in nine games, including three against the Aeros. He hit .296 with a pair of RBI's with the Baysox before a promotion to Triple-A Norfolk on May 16th. He was hitting .208 in 39 games with the Tides at the time of the trade.
The Aeros roster now stands at 24 players.
The Aeros will begin a three-game mid-week series at Harrisburg (Nationals) tonight at 7:00. All Aeros games are broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM and online at www.sportsradio1350.com. For more information, please call the Aeros at 330-253-5151.
Eastern League Stories from August 14, 2012
- Aeros Rally Late for 2-1 Win at Harrisburg - Akron Aeros
- Offense Strikes as R-Phils Take Down Thunder, 7-2 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Sea Dogs Snap Curve Win Streak with 13-2 Win - Altoona Curve
- Newcomers, Bogaerts and Workman, Lead Sea Dogs to 13-2 Win - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Come up Empty in Opener, 5-2 - Binghamton Mets
- Reading Scores Seven Unanswered in 7-2 Win over Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Rock Cats' Darnell Dominates in 5-1 Win over Richmond - New Britain Rock Cats
- Rock Cats Roll Past Squirrels in Opener, 5-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Howard, Strikeouts Punch out B-Mets 5-2 - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at New Britain - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Attendance Continues to Rise for Altoona Curve - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Game Notes: at New Hampshire Fisher Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 14 vs. Altoona - Portland Sea Dogs
- Diaz, Van Mil Promoted - Akron Aeros
- Rock Cats OF Oswaldo Arcia Named Eastern League Player of the Week - New Britain Rock Cats
- New Kids on the Block and the Back Street Boys Coming to Metro Bank Park - Harrisburg Senators
- Rendon Joining Senators - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.