TinCaps Claim Series Finale, 6-3August 13, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Fort Wayne TinCaps
Frank Garces, who had won eight of his last nine starts, allowed three runs over his two innings of work, which was his shortest outing of the season. He left in line for a loss, his team trailing, 3-1. Fort Wayne (29-21, 60-60) pulled to within one, at 3-2, in the third inning on an RBI groundout by Mike Gallic.
In the top of the sixth, Dayton (21-27, 51-67) starter Stalin Gerson (6-8) began to falter. He allowed back-to-back singles to Yeison Asencio and Lee Orr to begin the inning. Austin Hedges then laid down a bunt, which Gerson fielded, but his throw sailed over first baseman Sean Buckley, allowing Asencio to score and tie the game at three. Kyle Gaedele then walked, and Gerson was removed from the game in favor of reliever Carlos Gonzalez.
Gonzalez uncorked two wild pitches, which brought both Hedges and Gaedele in to score, and gave the TinCaps a 5-3 lead. While Fort Wayne was building its comeback, the bullpen was compiling scoreless innings. James Jones (2-3) worked three scoreless frames, Johnny Barbato twirled two more scoreless innings and Matt Stites retired the side in order in the eighth and ninth innings, earning his 12th save.
The TinCaps added their final run of the night in the eighth inning on an RBI single from Travis Jankowski. Five of the six runs scored by Fort Wayne were unearned runs, due to three errors committed by the Dragons.
Fort Wayne has the day off on Tuesday, and will begin a three-game series at Lansing on Wednesday night. The scheduled starters are Colin Rea for the TinCaps and Aaron Sanchez for the Lugnuts.
Midwest League Stories from August 13, 2012
- Wisconsin Tops Clinton To Take Series - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- LumberKings Fall 7-4 in Finale to Timber Rattlers - Clinton LumberKings
- Dickson Delivers in Loons Win - Great Lakes Loons
- Chiefs Lose on Late Unearned Run Monday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons avoid sweep, walk off Lugnuts, 5-4 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Back to Back Homers Propel Snappers to 3-2 Win - Beloit Snappers
- TinCaps Avoid Sweep, Top Dragons 6-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Drop Road Trip Finale - Kane County Cougars
- Jimenez and homers lead Kernels to 5-1 win over Kane County - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- TinCaps Claim Series Finale, 6-3 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Silver Hawks and Captains Postponed - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Captains and Silver Hawks Postponed - Lake County Captains
- Tyler Ybarra Heads to DL - Lansing Lugnuts
- Zeke DeVoss Named MWL Player of the Week - Peoria Chiefs
- Whitecaps Nearing 100th MLB Debut - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Duel Gives Way To Blowout Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Alex Yarbrough to DL; Kevin Moesquit activated from DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Red-Hot Carter Leads Hot Rods to Series Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Kane County Cougars Homestand Preview: August 15-17 - Kane County Cougars
- Dragons Gameday for August 13 - Dayton Dragons
- Hit Barrage for Clinton in 9-4 Win - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.