Stingers Win Franchise-Record 40th Game, 8-3August 9, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Willmar Stingers
The Stingers never trailed in the contest, improving their record at home to a North Division-best 22-10. Willmar also tied Mankato for the best overall record in the North Division by moving to 40-27 with the victory. With three games remaining in the season, the Stingers (20-12) hold a half-game lead over the St. Cloud Rox (20-13) for the top spot in the second-half standings. Whoever wins the second half will face the Mankato MoonDogs in the Northwoods League Playoffs, which begin next Monday, Aug. 13.
Michael Hahn (Nebraska Kearney) went a season-long 6.2 innings, striking out five while holding Mankato to three runs on seven hits to earn his third victory in as many appearances. Andre Wheeler (Texas Tech) registered two strikeouts in 1.1 innings of middle relief, and Josh Biggs (Evansville) struck out all three batters he faced in the ninth to even the final series against the MoonDogs.
Forrestt Allday (Central Arkansas), who leads the Northwoods League with his .510 on-base percentage, keyed the offensive attack in the first inning with a leadoff walk. Allday scored two batters later on a single by Michael Suchy (Florida Gulf Coast) for his franchise-best 62nd RBI of the season.
In the second inning, a leadoff walk set the stage again when Zach Benson (Stephen F. Austin) reached on the free pass and advanced to third on a double by JD Dorgan (St. Thomas). Allday drove home Benson on a ground ball, and Brennan Moore (Texas Tech) followed with an RBI single to give Willmar a 3-0 advantage.
Mankato responded with two runs in the third and another run in the fifth to tie the contest, 3-3, but the Stingers retook the lead immediately when Benson began the bottom of the fifth with a single, stole second base and scored later in the frame on a wild pitch.
Willmar added to its lead in the seventh thanks to two runs without a base hit. Hunter Dozier (Stephen F. Austin) scored on an error after reaching on a leadoff walk. Benson was hit by a pitch and scored later on a sacrifice fly by Moore. It marked Moore's fifth RBI in his past three games.
Dozier added an RBI double in the eighth to score Corben Green (Louisiana Monroe), who went 3-for-5 in the game with double. Dozier scored on a wild pitch with two outs to make the final score 8-3.
The Stingers will play Mankato for the final time of the regular season Friday night at 7:05 p.m. It's Social Media Night presented by Miller Lite. Stingers fans 21 years of age and older can go to the team's Facebook page to vote on various aspects of Friday's game, including what uniforms Willmar will wear and who will throw out the ceremonial first pitch.
The 2012 season is presented by Charter. For more information on your Willmar Stingers be sure to visit the West Central Tribune at www.wctrib.com.
Northwoods League Stories from August 9, 2012
- Stingers Win Franchise-Record 40th Game, 8-3 - Willmar Stingers
- Mallards Bounce Back with Spectacular Pitching - Madison Mallards
- Chucks drop heart-breaker 9-5 to Loggers - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Loggers beat Woodchucks - La Crosse Loggers
- Finale in Battle Creek ends at 6-6, Rafters win season series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Honkers Pound Beetles 11-3 - Rochester Honkers
- Final Game at Kapco Park Ends in a 3-0 Loss Thursday - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Bombers and Rafters Tie - Battle Creek Bombers
- Schierl Tire & Service Jersey Auction Is Now Live - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Bullfrogs Season Winding Down - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Come out for One Last Night of Great Prizes and Family Fun at Kapco Park - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Northwoods League Partners with Evolve Beveragesr for League Wide Sponsorship - Northwoods
- Rox Win Seventh Straight - St. Cloud Rox
- Chadwick's Grand Slam Keeps Chinooks Alive for Extra Inning Rally - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Beetles win 8-5 - Alexandria Beetles
- Mallards Drop Absolute Heartbreaker to Chinooks - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Strike Early, Struggle Late in Loss - Green Bay Bullfrogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.