Ferrell Named MWL Pitcher of the WeekAugust 6, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) West Michigan Whitecaps
On Monday, the league named Ferrell its Pitcher of the Week for the week lasting from July 30-August 5.
Ferrell, a 21-year-old from Wilmington, North Carolina, needed just one start last week to earn the hardware. Taking on the Lake County Captains at Fifth Third Ballpark, the right-hander retired all 21 of the batters that he faced before being removed after seven perfect innings. The flawless start featured 11 groundball outs and six strikeouts.
Just 14 months after undergoing Tommy John surgery, Ferrell was removed after 79 pitches with the perfect game intact.
Jade Todd followed with a perfect eighth inning and Dan Bennett recorded the first out of the ninth, leaving West Michigan just two outs away from the first perfect game and fifth no-hitter in franchise history. After 25 consecutive outs, however, Leonardo Castillo sent a bouncing ball towards third and reached base on an infield single to break up the bid for history.
Ferrell and company settled for a three-hit shutout and a 6-0 win.
Ferrell opened the 2011 season with the Whitecaps before an elbow injury led to surgery, forcing him to miss the rest of the year and start the 2012 campaign on the disabled list before rejoining the Whitecaps in May. A 26th-round pick by Detroit Tigers in 2010, Ferrell is 4-4 with a 4.42 ERA and 60 strikeouts in 59 innings this year, holding opponents to a .209 batting average.
Ferrell is the third Whitecaps' player this season to be honored with a Midwest League weekly award. Right-hander Tommy Collier and shortstop Eugenio Suarez swept the awards for the week of May 28-June 3.
The Whitecaps are in the midst of a seven-game road trip that continues at 7:05 p.m. on Monday night with the third game of a four-game series against the Lansing Lugnuts. RHP Marcelo Carreno (5-8, 3.59) is scheduled to take the hill for West Michigan against LHP Justin Nicolino (7-3, 2.48) of Lansing. The next home game at Fifth Third Ballpark will take place at 7:00 p.m. on Saturday, August 11, featuring a superhero cape giveaway on Superhero Night, an appearance by the incomparable Team Ghost Riders, and post-game fireworks. Group and individual tickets can be reserved by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
Midwest League Stories from August 6, 2012
- Rivers' Huge Game Leads LumberKings to Win - Clinton LumberKings
- Captains Clip Hawks in 13 Innings - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Chiefs Blow Late Lead, Drop Fifth Straight Game - Peoria Chiefs
- Loons Win in 'Wild' One - Great Lakes Loons
- Captains Walk off Winners in 13 Innings - Lake County Captains
- West Michigan Staves Off Lansing For Another Win - West Michigan Whitecaps
- TinCaps Fall in Error-Laden Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Beloit's big inning enough to beat Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Sting the Rattlers - Beloit Snappers
- Gaviglio Masterful in 3-1 Victory over Burlington Bees - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Shaky Lugnuts fall to Whitecaps, 6-3 - Lansing Lugnuts
- Early Runs, TinCap Errors Aid Hot Rods in Win - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Cougars Come Back to Clip Kernels - Kane County Cougars
- Bats Look Lifeless as Bees Lose 3-1 - Burlington Bees
- Loons Snap Dragons 3-Game Winning Streak, 5-2 - Dayton Dragons
- Ferrell Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Aguila Named MWL Player of the Week - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Jarrod Parks arrives from Orem; Kevin Moesquit to DL - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Shore, Brazis Dominate Peoria in 3-2 Win - Clinton LumberKings
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.