Rafters Lose One-Run AffairAugust 3, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
After falling behind early Thursday night, the Rafters struck first on Friday. Brandon Downes (FR, Univ. of Virginia) smashed his sixth home run with two on to give the Rafters a 3-0 lead in the first. Battle Creek then started to chip away.
Kyle Wormington (JR, Valparaiso Univ.) tossed a scoreless first inning. Sikes Orvis blasted a home run to strike first off of Wormington leading off the second. Another run in the third followed by a run in the fifth tied the game at three. The right-hander battled all night. He allowed runners in five of his seven innings but scattered eight hits and stranded five Bombers, leaving the game with a 3-3 tie. He was on-line for the win when the Rafters took a lead in the bottom half of the inning.
With two on and two out, Brandon Hohl (JR, Univ. of Illinois) scored Aaron Jones to give the Rafters a 4-3 lead after the seventh inning stretch. Just six away from the end the Rafters' six-game slide.
Ronnie Muck (JR, Univ. of Illinois) made it five outs left when he got the dangerous Daniel Rockett to ground out. Next, Sikes Orvis singled. Connor Costello clubbed a two-run home run to give Battle Creek their first lead of the night.
The lead would hold up. Alex Tukey was dominant for the Bombers, coming on for the second straight night with two aboard in a close game and getting out of the jam. He stranded two Rafters in the eighth and worked a perfect ninth. He struck out all five batters he faced.
Muck took the loss (3-2) while reliever Chad Jasman remained perfect with the run (4-0). Tukey picked up his fifth save, his first since June 30th.
The loss was the Rafters' seventh in a row, the longest losing streak for the team this year, and third longest streak in the Northwoods League. Wisconsin Rapids is still even with Battle Creek (3-3). The teams finish the three-game series at Witter Field on Saturday night.
Cole Webb (2-3, 4.91 ERA) gets the nod for the Rafters against Battle Creek's Dan Tyson (2-2, 4.14 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 pm.
Northwoods League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Rox Win Third Straight - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Lose One-Run Affair - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Win Rain-Shortened Game against Duluth, 7-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Scheffert Cooks up Mallards with Huge Night - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Rally Late, Lose in Ninth - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bombers Earn Wire-to-Wire Victory - Battle Creek Bombers
- MoonDogs vs. Alexandria game postponed - Alexandria Beetles
- Woodchucks Enjoy a Chinook Fish Fry in Friday Nights 5-1 Loss - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stadler throws five perfect innings, Chucks win 5-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Blow Early Lead, Lose to Bucks 7-5 - Rochester Honkers
- Goose Droppings - Rochester Honkers
- Dan Straily to Make Big League Debut - Northwoods
- Mallards Look to Stay Hot on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Take Down First-Place Loggers - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Rafters Drop to Bombers in Extras, 6-5 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Drop Opener to Duluth, 10-7 - Willmar Stingers
- Shay Gives Bombers Win in Extras - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.