Bombers Earn Wire-to-Wire VictoryAugust 3, 2012 - Northwoods League (Northwoods) Battle Creek Bombers
After striking out six of nine hitters he faced a night ago, Alex Tukey was even more dominant for Battle Creek in game two. The right-hander from the University of Minnesota struck out the final five hitters of the game to earn his fifth save in as many opportunities. 11 of the 13 outs he has recorded the past two nights have come via the punch out.
Wisconsin Rapids jumped out in front early when Brandon Downes hit a three-run first inning blast off Bombers starter Brian Valente, but that was all they would get off the Junior from Eastern Michigan. He allowed just four hits over six innings and like Tukey, struck out the final five hitters he faced.
Battle Creek tied the game with single runs in the second, third, and fifth. Sikes Orvis hit a solo homer, his third of the season. Casey Yocom came through with an RBI single, and Daniel Rockett drew a bases loaded walk.
The Rafters took the lead with a run in the seventh on an RBI single by Brandon Hohl, but Costello responded right away with his bomb in the next half inning. Chad Jasman picked up the win in relief for Battle Creek. The Michigan Wolverine is now a perfect 4-0 on the summer and leads the team in victories.
The Bombers will look to win three straight for the first time this season when they face the Rafters again on Saturday. First pitch is 7:05 E.T. and Dan Tyson gets the ball for Battle Creek.
Northwoods League Stories from August 3, 2012
- Rox Win Third Straight - St. Cloud Rox
- Rafters Lose One-Run Affair - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Win Rain-Shortened Game against Duluth, 7-4 - Willmar Stingers
- Scheffert Cooks up Mallards with Huge Night - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Rally Late, Lose in Ninth - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Bombers Earn Wire-to-Wire Victory - Battle Creek Bombers
- MoonDogs vs. Alexandria game postponed - Alexandria Beetles
- Woodchucks Enjoy a Chinook Fish Fry in Friday Nights 5-1 Loss - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Stadler throws five perfect innings, Chucks win 5-1 - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Honkers Blow Early Lead, Lose to Bucks 7-5 - Rochester Honkers
- Goose Droppings - Rochester Honkers
- Dan Straily to Make Big League Debut - Northwoods
- Mallards Look to Stay Hot on the Road - Madison Mallards
- Bullfrogs Take Down First-Place Loggers - Green Bay Bullfrogs
- Rafters Drop to Bombers in Extras, 6-5 - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Stingers Drop Opener to Duluth, 10-7 - Willmar Stingers
- Shay Gives Bombers Win in Extras - Battle Creek Bombers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.