RedHawks Drop Heartbreaker, 7-6July 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Oklahoma City RedHawks
The RedHawks led 6-0 after five innings, but the lead was squandered in two innings and Omaha took the lead in the top of the ninth after a fielding error on pitcher Mickey Storey (7-4) to give the
RedHawks their second loss in a row.
Oklahoma City started quickly with a leadoff double by centerfielder Brandon Barnes and a single by second baseman Jimmy Paredes in the bottom of the first. After two quick outs, third baseman Matt Dominguez's two-run single gave the RedHawks a 2-0 lead.
The RedHawks added to their lead in the second on Barnes' RBI single to right field. Oklahoma City extended the lead to 6-0 in the fourth, courtesy of J.B. Shuck's RBI single and two RBI-groundouts from Landon Powell and Barnes.
Omaha starting pitcher Nate Adcock pitched a scoreless fifth inning, but that was the end of the night for him. Adcock finished five innings, giving up six runs on nine hits and three walks. The right-hander had three strikeouts while throwing 84 pitches, 55 for strikes.
Oklahoma City starter Brett Oberholtzer was cruising through the first five innings, including striking out the side in the top of the fourth. But the sixth inning brought trouble. Omaha shortstop Tony Abreu started the inning with a triple and centerfielder Wil Myers followed with a two-run home run to left to cut the lead to 6-2. Oberholtzer finished six innings, giving up two runs on five hits and two walks while striking out five.
Oberholtzer was replaced by Fernando Abad to start the seventh and Abad gave up a single and a walk to start the inning. After getting two outs, Abreu hit his 34th double of the year off the wall in left center to bring home two runs. Myers followed with his second home run of the game that sailed just over the right field wall to tie the game at six.
Storey replaced Abad and was able to get out of the seventh inning without any further damage. Storey got the Storm Chasers to go three-up, three-down in the eighth and he came out to pitch the ninth inning. Pinch-hitter Derrick Robinson began the inning with a single. Irving Falu followed with a sacrifice bunt to move Robinson to second. After a groundout moved Robinson to third, Abreu hit a chopper to the right of the mound. Storey couldn't field the ball cleanly, scoring Robinson and giving the Storm Chasers the lead, 7-6.
Jimmy Paredes started the ninth with a walk, but leftfielder Fernando Martinez lined into a double play and first baseman Mike Hessman grounded out to short to end the game.
Jeremy Jeffress (5-4) got the win for Omaha, Storey and Vin Mazzaro picked up his third save of the year. The Omaha bullpen tossed four scoreless innings, allowing one base hit.
Oklahoma City finishes a four-game series with Omaha, and an eight-game home stand, on Tuesday night at 7:05 p.m. For tickets, visit the box office on Mickey Mantle Drive, call (405) 218-1000, or order online through okcredhawks.com.
Live coverage of Tuesday's game begins at 6:35 p.m. on AM 1340 The Game, 1340thegame.com, or through the free IHeartRadio mobile app.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 30, 2012
- Reno Tops Sacramento, 9-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Power Past River Cats, 9-7 - Reno Aces
- Errors Costly as Cubs Drop Third Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Drop Heartbreaker, 7-6 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Chasers Storm Back to Beat OKC - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Monday's Sky Sox Game vs Fresno Suspended - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Duarte Blasts Two-Run, Pinch-Hit Homer, Helping Z's to 5-3 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- 'Topes Edged by Sounds in Walk-Off Fashion, 4-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Edged at Memphis 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Roll by Express - Memphis Redbirds
- Maysonet Delivers Walk-Off RBI Single in 4-3 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Wobblection / Wobblehead Giveaway Set for August 4 at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Asencio Arrives to Join I-Cubs Bullpen - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Next Homestand Features Great Giveaways, Fireworks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 30, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Starter Alex White Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sands Slams Way to PCL Player of the Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sands And White Awarded For Elite Play - PCL
- Omaha Storm Chasers Home for Eight Games from August 1 - 8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tucson Padres Sweep Doubleheader against Tacoma - Tucson Padres
- Z's Clip Cubs with Walk-Off Homer - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.