Round Rock Express Edged at Memphis 5-4July 30, 2012 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) Round Rock Express
Eduardo Sanchez did not retire any of the three batters he faced in the eighth, walking Luis Hernandez ahead of Ryan Spilborghs' eighth-inning, two-run homer that cut into a 5-2 Memphis lead. Sanchez was lifted after Brad Nelson singled, and Joey Butler greeted Jess Todd with a single. However, Todd struck out Matt Kata, Nelson was thrown out trying to advance on a pitch in the dirt, and Yangervis Solarte flied out to end the threat. Julio Borbon singled with two outs in the ninth and stole second, but Marte closed the game for his first save with the Redbirds.
That made a winner of starter Shelby Miller (6-9), who held the Express to two runs on eight hits over seven innings with no walks and eight strikeouts.
Express starter Ben Snyder (2-5) was saddled with the loss; he allowed five runs - three earned - on six hits over seven innings with one walk and four strikeouts. Willie Eyre worked a perfect eighth with two strikeouts.
Hernandez started the night with a one-out solo homer in the first. That was erased on Steven Hill's one-out, two-run homer in the bottom of the inning. Round Rock tied the game in the top of the fourth on a Guilder Rodriguez two-out RBI single, but the Redbirds quickly recaptured the lead in the bottom of the fourth on Ryan Jackson's two-out solo homer. Memphis never relinquished the lead; adding two unearned runs in the fifth inning when Matt Kata missed Luis Martinez's throw to third on a double-steal attempt.
Spilborghs, Kata and Rodriguez all had two-hit nights. Martinez was the only Express batter to not hit safely. Hernandez scored twice.
Eugenio Velez, who was the lead runner on the double-steal attempt in the fifth, had the lone multiple-hit game for the Redbirds, going 2-for-3 with a double. Round Rock out-hit Memphis 12-6.
Round Rock and Memphis conclude their series Tuesday with a 7:05 p.m. CDT first pitch. Left-hander Zach Jackson (4-12, 4.81 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Express, while right-hander Michael Blazek is slated to make his first start for the Redbirds.
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 30, 2012
- Reno Tops Sacramento, 9-7 - Sacramento River Cats
- Aces Power Past River Cats, 9-7 - Reno Aces
- Errors Costly as Cubs Drop Third Straight - Iowa Cubs
- RedHawks Drop Heartbreaker, 7-6 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Chasers Storm Back to Beat OKC - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Monday's Sky Sox Game vs Fresno Suspended - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Duarte Blasts Two-Run, Pinch-Hit Homer, Helping Z's to 5-3 Win - New Orleans Zephyrs
- 'Topes Edged by Sounds in Walk-Off Fashion, 4-3 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Round Rock Express Edged at Memphis 5-4 - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Roll by Express - Memphis Redbirds
- Maysonet Delivers Walk-Off RBI Single in 4-3 Win - Nashville Sounds
- Wobblection / Wobblehead Giveaway Set for August 4 at Raley Field - Sacramento River Cats
- Asencio Arrives to Join I-Cubs Bullpen - Iowa Cubs
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Next Homestand Features Great Giveaways, Fireworks - Albuquerque Isotopes
- RedHawks Game Notes: July 30, 2012 - Oklahoma City RedHawks
- Sky Sox Starter Alex White Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- Sands Slams Way to PCL Player of the Week Honors - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Sands And White Awarded For Elite Play - PCL
- Omaha Storm Chasers Home for Eight Games from August 1 - 8 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Tucson Padres Sweep Doubleheader against Tacoma - Tucson Padres
- Z's Clip Cubs with Walk-Off Homer - Iowa Cubs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.