Rascals Fight off Grizzlies; Win 8-5July 28, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
Rascal starter Tony Marsala (4-4) pitched around a leadoff double in the first before Eric Williams led off the bottom half with a single before Doug Sanders reached on a hit by pitch. Charlie Lisk singled in Williams and with two outs, Curran Redal doubled to right-center for the 3-0 lead.
Jason Patton drew a walk to lead off the third inning before Jeremy Synan launched a homerun to center off the backside of the clubhouse for a 5-0 lead.
Marsala did not allow another hit until a fifth-inning solo homerun to John Shelby. Back-to-back errors on third baseman Lisk kept the inning alive for Antone DeJesus who tripled in two runs to close the gap to 5-3.
River City 32-31) responded in the bottom half with three doubles. Synan doubled after Lisk led off the inning being hit by a pitch but he was thrown out at the plate on a collision. Redal followed with a double but Synan was held at third base. After an intentional walk loaded the bases, Erik Wetzel struck out, but Ben Hewett laced a two-run double to right to stretch the lead to 7-4.
River City would add one more run in the eighth on a Lisk sacrifice fly that scored Sanders after a leadoff walk in the sixth but Gateway (36-27) plated two in the top of the seventh on a pair of doubles and a single from John Myers but the Grizzlies left runners and second and third and stranded the bases loaded in the eighth before closer Brandon Cunniff locked down his third save in the ninth.
The Rascals begin a three game series at The Corn Crib against the Normal CornBelters tomorrow with first pitch set for 6:30. A doubleheader follows on Sunday with game time at 5:00. You can catch all the action on Westplex News-Talk 1280 AM or online at www.westplexnewstalk.com.
Frontier League Stories from July 28, 2012
- Grizzlies Win Again; Defeat Miners in Marion - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Drop One to Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Acquire Gerardo Avila - Southern Illinois Miners
- Crushers leave tying run on in ninth, fall 5-4 - Lake Erie Crushers
- Rascals Held to Four Hits in 3-2 Loss at Normal - River City Rascals
- Freedom Slug 20 Hits in Mathes' Shutout of Otters - Florence Freedom
- Liedka, 'Belters Shut Down Rascals in Game 1 Win - Normal CornBelters
- Blunders Cost RiverHawks in 3-1 Defeat - Rockford RiverHawks
- Wild Things Defeat Lake Erie 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Win Streak Reaches Five with Comeback Win - Schaumburg Boomers
- Slammers Bounce Back against ThunderBolts in Series Opener - Joliet Slammers
- Wild Things Top Crushers 5-4 - Washington Wild Things
- Otters Lose Series Opener at Florence - Evansville Otters
- July 28 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Freedom Sweep Doublheader against Wild Things - Florence Freedom
- Miners Split Doubleheader - Southern Illinois Miners
- Evansville and Southern Illinois Split Doubleheader - Evansville Otters
- Grizzlies Drop Series Finale to Rascals - Gateway Grizzlies
- Rascals Fight off Grizzlies; Win 8-5 - River City Rascals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.