Winnipeg Squeezes Past PheasantsJuly 27, 2012 - American Association (AA) Sioux Falls Canaries
Despite a stellar start from Mark Michael, the Pheasants (29-36) were met by one of the league's top starters in Matthew Rusch, who held the Pheasants to just one run in six innings. Rusch lowered his ERA to 2.28 in his 13th start. He has allowed just two earned runs to the Pheasants in three starts and 22 innings pitched against the Birds.
Winnipeg reliever and Luverne, Minn., native Brian Beuning (4-0) tossed three perfect innings in relief to earn the victory.
Michael held Winnipeg to one run on six hits to bounce back from a rough outing against the Goldeyes last week. Dan Cooper and Jack Van Leur worked a scoreless eighth, wiggling out of a first-and-third, one-out jam.
Dusty Gober (0-2) came in for the ninth and gave up a one-out double to Ramon. Ramon moved to third on Jose Duran's single to set up Kendall's suicide squeeze.
Both teams scored single tallies in the second inning. Al Quintana's two-out single drove home Cristian Guerrero and was one of just three Pheasants hits. After scoring, Guerrero had to leave the game with a sore quad.
The Pheasants have lost six consecutive games and are 3-9 against Winnipeg (38-27) this season.
The middle game of the three-game series is at 6 p.m. on Saturday, July 28, in Winnipeg. The game will be broadcast on Sioux Falls Sports Radio 1230-AM KWSN and www.kwsn.com.
American Association Stories from July 27, 2012
- Lemurs Win Fifth Straight - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers shut out Lincoln 1-0 - Sioux City Explorers
- Suicide Squeeze Snaps Goldeyes' Skid - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Gold Medal Worthy Performance by Saints with 4-3 Walk-Off Win in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Winnipeg Squeezes Past Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Rally for Six Early and Beat Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Rout 'Cats in Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Inning Costs AirHogs Yet Again - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Salazar Outguns Mackey in Tremendous Pitcher's Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- July 27-Aug 2 Promotions Announced - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Outfielder, Former Major Leaguer, Shane Costa Retires - St. Paul Saints
- Fans to Vote for Top Skipper in Team History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sox prepare for big week of games, including Inflatamaniacs - Amarillo Sox
- Gary SouthShore defeats Explorers 5-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hiscock, 'Cats Take Series in 5-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.