Big Inning Costs AirHogs Yet Again
KANSAS CITY, Kan. - During the Grand Prairie AirHogs' struggles in the second half of July, they have frequently made costly errors in the field and allowed big innings against them. Both were on display on Friday, as the Kansas City T-Bones took advantage of three AirHogs errors to score six runs (two earned) in the second inning to cruise to a 9-4 victory at CommunityAmerica Ballpark.
After getting around a one-out single in the first, Josh Strawn (6-3) gave up a double and two singles to start the bottom of the second, falling behind 1-0. A fielder's choice out brought in another run, before Devin Goodwin reached on an error by Greg Porter at third. Justin Bass singled to bring in Milner, and Trent Lockwood's throw to third hit Goodwin and bounced away to allow him to score. After a groundout, shortstop Yasutsgu Nishimoto made a rare miscue to allow Bass to score, and Ray Sadler's RBI single capped the inning.
Strawn gave up one more unearned run in the fourth, before being chased on the strength of three straight hits in the seventh, leading to two more runs.
Meanwhile, Lucas Irvine (2-0) held the AirHogs (40-26) at bay for the second start in a row, allowing two runs on Chris McMurray's fourth-inning double, while scattering seven hits and two walks, striking out six. Only in that fourth inning did the AirHogs have more than one baserunner in an inning, although Irvine had no perfect frames.
Steve Kent allowed an unearned run in the eighth, and David Thomas's double in the ninth brought the AirHogs their final run, but it was too little and too late again.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from July 27, 2012
- Lemurs Win Fifth Straight - Laredo Lemurs
- Explorers shut out Lincoln 1-0 - Sioux City Explorers
- Suicide Squeeze Snaps Goldeyes' Skid - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Gold Medal Worthy Performance by Saints with 4-3 Walk-Off Win in 11 - St. Paul Saints
- Winnipeg Squeezes Past Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Lemurs Win Tight Game over Wingnuts - Wichita Wingnuts
- T-Bones Rally for Six Early and Beat Grand Prairie - Kansas City T-Bones
- RedHawks Rout 'Cats in Opener - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Big Inning Costs AirHogs Yet Again - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Salazar Outguns Mackey in Tremendous Pitcher's Duel - Lincoln Saltdogs
- July 27-Aug 2 Promotions Announced - El Paso Diablos
- Saints Outfielder, Former Major Leaguer, Shane Costa Retires - St. Paul Saints
- Fans to Vote for Top Skipper in Team History - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Sox prepare for big week of games, including Inflatamaniacs - Amarillo ThunderHeads
- Gary SouthShore defeats Explorers 5-2 - Sioux City Explorers
- Hiscock, 'Cats Take Series in 5-2 Win - Gary SouthShore Railcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Prairie AirHogs Stories
- Weekend Ballpark Parking Announced
- AirHogs Outduel Lemurs
- AirHogs Rally late to Beat ThunderHeads
- Even Year Old Heart Recipient Throws Out Ceremonial First Pitch
- AirHogs Walk Over Lemurs