Sea Dogs Down Fisher Cats 9-1July 21, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
Portland starter Drake Britton (2-3, 4.75) had a career game holding the Fisher Cat offense to one run with the help of some flashy defense and got stronger as the game went on. Britton went a career high seven innings for the Dogs and amassed a Double-A high eight strikeouts including four in one inning. Britton gave up six hits and walked two.
Portland took advantage of its hot offense in the second inning. Reynaldo Rodriguez and Peter Hissey each had a single setting the table for Matt Spring with one out. Spring blasted a three run homer staking the Sea Dogs to an early 3-0 lead.
New Hampshire reached the scoreboard in its half of the fourth. Back-to-back singles to begin the inning by Brad Glenn and Kevin Howard had New Hampshire threating with no outs. The Fisher Cats pushed across a run without the benefit another hit in the frame. Glenn advanced to third on a Brian Van Kirk force out which put Van Kirk on first. Glenn came to the plate on a Kenen Bailli ground out a batter later making the score 3-1.
The Dogs pulled away from New Hampshire in the fifth inning. Jackie Bradley Jr. started the offense with his 10th double of the year and advanced to third on a Jeremy Hazelbaker ground out. The next batter Marquez Smith drove Bradley home with a single. Reynaldo Rodriguez finished the 5th inning scoring with a two run homer (14) putting Portland in front of New Hampshire 6-1.
Runs came in three for the Sea Dogs on Saturday and that held true in the seventh. Ryan Dent reached on a Howard throwing error to lead-off the inning. Two outs later Marquez Smith drove Dent home with a single to left field. Rodriguez then rattled his 25th double of the season, good for his third hit of the night, scoring Smith on the play. Bryce Brentz followed with a RBI single driving Rodriguez home extending the Sea Dog lead to 9-1.
Righty Yohan Pino (5-5, 3.96) took the loss for New Hampshire going five innings giving up six runs on nine hits. Pino struck out four.
Aaron Kurcz pitched two no hit innings to close out the game for the Sea Dogs. Kurcz struck out two hitters and walked one. Offensively, eight of the nine Portland starters hit safely and Marquez Smith put together his second four-hit game of the year.
Prime Motor Group Player of the Game: Drake Britton- 7 IP, 8 K, 1 R Reynaldo Rodriguez- 3-5, 3 RBI, 3 R, HR.
The Sea Dogs will take to the field Sunday at 1:35 PM looking for the four game series sweep of New Hampshire. Maine's own RHP Mike MacDonald (1-0, 1.17) will get the nod for Portland against the Fisher Cats' RHP John Stilson (2-2, 3.38). Catch all of the game action on 95.5/95.9 FM WPEI. The Sea Dogs will return home for a three game set against the Trenton Thunder (New York Yankees) from July 23-25. Tickets are available at www.seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from July 21, 2012
- Baysox Start Quick, Hold off B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- First Inning Dooms B-Mets Again in 7-5 Loss - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Crush Squirrels in 10-1 Win - Akron Aeros
- Curve Sweep Doubleheader from Erie - Altoona Curve
- Big First Inning by Reading Sinks Thunder, 7-1 - Trenton Thunder
- Sea Dogs Down Fisher Cats 9-1 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Snap Seven-Game Losing Streak with Shutout - Harrisburg Senators
- Akron Overwhelms Squirrels, 10-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- 'Wolves Swept in Doubleheader - Erie SeaWolves
- Howard's Two Hits Not Enough in 9-1 Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Wolves Drop Game One of Saturdays DH - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Games Notes vs. Akron - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Best Selling Author and Movie Stars Coming to Trenton - Trenton Thunder
- B-Mets Game Notes: at Bowie Baysox - Binghamton Mets
- Brach to Mudcats - Akron Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.