Rascals Hold off Florence; Win 10-7July 19, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) River City Rascals
A homerun from John Malloy started the first inning and two doubles later the Rascals trailed 2-0, but Eric Williams and Jason Patton singled and scored in the first before Jeremy Synan and Chris Andreas scored on a Matt Serna double to give the Rascals (29-26) a 4-2 lead.
Andreas and Serna reached on a hit-by-pitch and single, respectively, before Zach Deutscher, re-signed by the Rascals prior to the game, delivered a two-run double to stretch the lead to 6-2. Curran Redal followed with a single that scored Deutscher to give the Rascals a five-run cushion. A Synan solo homerun in the fourth made it 8-2 River City.
Florence (28-27) chipped away though, scoring two runs in the sixth and final inning for Vancil (3-4) before Cory Caruso allowed two runs, one earned, in the seventh as the Freedom closed within 8-6.
River City responded after the stretch, scoring two runs on two hits. Andreas scored his third run of the game on a wild pitch before Redal laced his second RBI single of the night to the right side and River City was back up four at 10-6.
Jason Sullivan pitched around a leadoff double in the eighth before Brandon Cunniff entered in a non-save situation in the ninth, allowed one run, but got the potential tying run to ground out to end the game.
River City and Florence resume the three-game series tomorrow night with first pitch set for 7:05.
Frontier League Stories from July 19, 2012
- ThunderBolts defeat Joliet - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Rascals Hold off Florence; Win 10-7 - River City Rascals
- Slammers Drop Third Straight, Lose 5-1 to ThunderBolts - Joliet Slammers
- Schepel's Gem Leads RiverHawks over Beach Bums - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums Fall in Heartbreaker - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Grizzlies Win Third in a Row; Defeat Slammers in Series Opener - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners' Hall Goes Eight Strong in Win - Southern Illinois Miners
- CornBelters fall to Rippers - Normal CornBelters
- Gateway Homers Past Boomers - Schaumburg Boomers
- Brodin Leads Rippers' Slugfest - London Rippers
- Crushers score eight, Fagan goes nine in 8-3 victory - Lake Erie Crushers
- Lake Erie Takes Series Opener against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- July 19 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Release Three, Sign Three - London Rippers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.