Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy CityJuly 1, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Evansville Otters
Bullock only gave up three hits on the night and struck out eight Thunderbolt hitters in the series-tying win.
The Otters opened the scoring in the fourth inning when infielder Taylor Black drew a leadoff walk and scored two batters later on an RBI double from fellow infielder Nick Schwaner.
Ahead 1-0, Evansville would then add to their lead two innings later. Outfielder Matt Sheely blooped a single to left center field, and moved to second on a groundout from Black. With a runner at second, infielder Luis Parache ripped a single past the drawn-in infield for the 2-0 advantage.
Up by a pair of runs, Bullock found himself in some trouble during the seventh inning. The left-hander surrendered a leadoff walk to designated hitter Chad Cregar but witnessed back-to-back steller defensive plays behind him. Schwaner backhanded a ball hit down the third base line, and threw to second for a scooping fielder's choice by Black. Then on the next batter, Black made a juggling catch in right field on the next batter to preserve the 2-0 lead.
Reliever Patrick Crider then entered the game in the eighth inning, making his franchise record 100th career appearance. The Owensboro native recorded a pair of outs but ran into a jam with runners at second and third. Closer Eric Massingham was brought in to strike out Zach Aakhus, ending the threat, and securing the shutout over Windy City.
Evansville has now evened up the series, improving their record to 17-24. The loss moves Windy City back to 23-16.
Bullock (2-4) earns the win for Evansville as the Otters pitching staff combined for 11 strikeouts. Windy City's Tyson Corley (0-4) receives the loss after yielding two runs in 5.1 innings. Massingham, who had not pitching in a week, now has eight saves on the season and 30 in his career as an Evansville Otter.
Evansville will now look for a series win on Monday night when the Otters play the Windy City Thunderbolts. It is Deaconess Resouce Center Night at the ballpark and fans can purchase peanuts for just $1. First pitch is set for 6:35 p.m. CDT as left-hander Matt Crim (0-5, 4.82 Earned Run Average) will start for the Otters and righty Mike Recchia (4-2, 3.74 ERA) will be on the hill for WIndy City.
Frontier League Stories from July 1, 2012
- Bullock's Gem Guides Evansville to 2-0 Win over Windy City - Evansville Otters
- Rascals Dominate Normal - River City Rascals
- Slammers Snap Four Game Skid - Joliet Slammers
- Grizzlies Shutout Miners for Third Straight Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Schult Pitches Slammers Past RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
- Miners Shutout in Gateway - Southern Illinois Miners
- Grizzlies Announce Time Change for July 3rd and July 4th - Gateway Grizzlies
- CornBelters Walloped by River City - Normal CornBelters
- Lake Erie Crushers Split DH with Florence - Lake Erie Crushers
- Mozingo's Walk-Off Double Caps Ninth Inning Rally - Schaumburg Boomers
- Boomers Rally to Snap Beach Bums Win Streak - Traverse City Beach Bums
- July 1 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Rippers Grab Canada Day Win in Grand Fashion - London Rippers
- RiverHawks release pitcher - Rockford RiverHawks
- Beach Bums' Langbehn Named East Division All-Star Manager - Traverse City Beach Bums
- Max Peterson Has Contract Purchased by White Sox - Southern Illinois Miners
- Rascals Lose Fourth-Straight - River City Rascals
- Offense Carries Grizzlies to Win over Miners - Gateway Grizzlies
- Miners Lose Series Opener to Grizzlies - Southern Illinois Miners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.