'Wolves Take Series with Extra Innings WinJune 29, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Erie SeaWolves
Erie jumped ahead in the top of the first inning against Akron starter Paolo Espino. With two outs, Nick Castellanos doubled and Jordan Lennerton walked. Rawley Bishop doubled home both baserunners for a 2-0 Erie lead. Tony Plagman followed it up with a double to plate Bishop for a 3-0 lead.
The 'Wolves added to their lead in the top of the fifth. Bryan Pounds led off with his second triple of the season and scored on a Jamie Johnson sacrifice fly for a 4-0 lead.
Akron got on the board against reliever Ryan Robowski in the bottom of the fifth. Thomas Neal led off with a single and Adam Abraham walked to put a pair on. Kyle Bellows doubled home both base runners, cutting the Erie lead in half at 4-2. Bellows moved to third on a fly out and scored on a sacrifice fly to make it a 4-3 game.
Akron tied the game in the bottom the eighth. Juan Diaz and Chun Chen each singled off of Jared Gayhart to put the tying run in scoring position. Gayhart struck out Nick Weglarz for the first out and was lifted for Tyler Stohr. Neal singled home Diaz, tying the game. With two outs, Bellows singled to right and defensive replacement Michael Rockett nailed Chen at the plate, preserving the tie game.
The Aeros threatened in the ninth with two runners on base but Kenny Faulk shut down the threat.
In the top of the 10th, Niuman Romero led off and walked against Bryan Price. Romero moved into scoring position on a Lennerton base hit to left and scored on a two-out, Plagman single to make it 5-4 Erie.
Bruce Rondon worked a scoreless 10th, earning his five save in as many chances.
Faulk (1-0) earned the win tossing 0.2 innings.
Erie is now 2-0 in extra innings games.
The SeaWolves continue their eight-game road trip on Saturday night against the Harrisburg Senators at Metro Bank Park.7:00 First Pitch. RHP James Avery (8-6, 3.92 ERA) takes the mound for Erie against RHP Kevin Pucetas (6-2, 2.63 ERA).
Eastern League Stories from June 29, 2012
- Plagman Delivers Dagger in 10th as SeaWolves Edge Aeros, 5-4 - Akron Aeros
- 'Wolves Take Series with Extra Innings Win - Erie SeaWolves
- Grossman, Irwin Lead Curve to 11-3 Victory over 'Sens - Altoona Curve
- B-Mets Swept Away to Start Homestand, 8-5 - Binghamton Mets
- Altoona Gains Split with 11-3 Win over the Sens - Harrisburg Senators
- Five-Run Third Pushes New Britain Past Thunder, 8-4 - Trenton Thunder
- Goins Blasts Homer in 9-3 Loss at Portland - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Baysox Sweep B-Mets - Bowie Baysox
- Sea Dogs Bite Fisher Cats 9-3 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Britain Takes Three out of Four From 1st Place Trenton - New Britain Rock Cats
- Squirrels Run out of Gas in Reading, 4-3 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes at Reading - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Erie SeaWolves at Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- OF Abraham Almonte Hits DL; RHP Farquhar Designated - Trenton Thunder
- R-Phils Service Electric, Comcast SportsNet to Air All-Star Classic - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs. Bowie Baysox - Binghamton Mets
- Thunder to be Honored at Yankee Stadium Tonight - Trenton Thunder
- Three Rock Cats Named to EL All-Star Team - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Five Baysox Named to All-Star Team - Bowie Baysox
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.