Another Comeback Caps Road Trip in StyleJune 27, 2012 - American Association (AA) Grand Prairie AirHogs
Greg Porter and Trent Lockwood hit the first two pitches of the inning for doubles to tie the game against Tornadoes starter Ryan Bicondoa (1-4), before he was removed for righty reliever Matt McDonald. David Thomas bunted Lockwood to third, and Zane Chavez followed that with a single through the drawn-in infield to give the AirHogs (26-13) the lead again.
It was a lead that was built on a two-run single by Yasutsugu Nishimoto in the third, but the AirHogs did not get anything more against Bicondoa until the ninth.
Meanwhile, Lance Day pitched around three hits and a walk through the first six innings, but was pulled after giving up a single and a double to start the bottom of the sixth.
Griffin Bailey came in and gave up a first-pitch, game-tying double to Brendon Kelliher, before a sacrifice bunt and an RBI single by Cameron Monger gave Worcester (14-25) the lead. But Bailey got a double play from Alex Nunez to end the inning, and Ronnie Morales (2-1) and Justin Dowdy retired all six Tornadoes they faced to finish the road trip for the AirHogs at 7-3, with Dowdy picking up his eighth save of the season.
Notes: All seven AirHogs hits came from the bottom six in the batting order...The one run charged to Bailey was the first allowed by the AirHogs bullpen in 13 2/3 innings this series...Grand Prairie has now won five straight series...The AirHogs finished interleague play 10-3 and won all four series against the Can-Am League.
The 2011 American Association Champion Grand Prairie AirHogs continue their three-game series against the Worcester Tornadoes, on Tuesday, June 26, at 6:05 p.m. The next home game at QuikTrip Park is Friday, June 29, at 7:05 p.m. against the Amarillo Sox. That night is QuikTrip Night, with free ticket vouchers available at local QuikTrip stores. All games are aired live and for free on Ustream by clicking on the link on the AirHogs' home page or visiting http://www.ustream.tv/channel/airhogs-baseball with selected contests aired on Time Warner Cable's Texas Channel. For information on tickets, promotions, advertising, and other opportunities with the AirHogs, check out the Web site at www.airhogsbaseball.com, or call the QuikTrip Park office at (972) 504-9383.
American Association Stories from June 27, 2012
- Big Sixth Propels T-Bones Past RailCats - Kansas City T-Bones
- El Paso Comes Back to Beat Pheasants - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Wingnuts Stun Saints with Six-Run Ninth - Wichita Wingnuts
- Diablos Come Back From Five-Run Hole, Win Third Straight - El Paso Diablos
- Five-Run Sixth Sinks RailCats - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Pedroza, Gaston lead RedHawks in 13-6 victory over Lincoln - Fargo-Moorhead RedHawks
- Saints Stunned by Wingnuts, Blow Five Run Ninth Inning Lead, Lose 6-5 - St. Paul Saints
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
- Hat Trick of Quads Lift RedHawks to Series-Clinching Win - Lincoln Saltdogs
- Sioux City Swept - Sioux City Explorers
- Fish Sweep Sioux City with Convincing Win - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Trade Haines - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Another Comeback Caps Road Trip in Style - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- American Association Game Recap - AA
- Goldeyes Add Two Starting Pitchers - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Johnny Bench Finalists on Hand at Tonight's Game - Wichita Wingnuts
- Reminder: Southern Independent Baseball to Hold In-Season Tryout - Grand Prairie AirHogs
- Saints Raise over $1,000 for Lake Superior Zoo - St. Paul Saints
- Lemurs Score Early often in 10-5 Victory - Laredo Lemurs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.