Lugnuts Even SeriesJune 23, 2012 - Midwest League (MWL) Great Lakes Loons
Wilson's triple spoiled a solid start by Loons righty Ralston Cash (1-2), who was charged with just one earned run over six solid innings. The right-hander from Georgia allowed seven hits, including five extra base hits, and struck out five.
The Lugnuts got an unearned run off Cash in the first inning, capitalizing on an error by Pedro Guerrero and a wild pitch by Cash to score on a two-out single by Andy Burns.
Noah Syndergaard departed the game after five scoreless, one-hit innings for the Lugnuts. He combined with three relievers on a three-hit performance, but wasn't eligible for the win after a mistake by the first reliever, Tyler Ybarra. Ybarra surrendered a solo home run to the first batter he faced, Jeff Hunt, to knot the score at 1-1. It was Hunt's first homer of the season and just his second hit since joining the Loons.
The Loons later in the inning put two runners on base with one out, but O'Koyea Dickson grounded into a double play. That was followed by three straight 1-2-3 innings by Ybarra (seventh), Brandon Berl (eighth) an d Ajay Meyer (ninth) to close out the game. Meyer racked up his league-leading 21st save.
The game was played in two hours, 17 minutes, the Loons quickest game in more than one month.
Burns finished the game with three hits, equal to the total by the entire Loons' lineup.
The Loons (1-1 first half, 35-37 overall) continue their three-game series against the Lugnuts (1-1, 48-23) Sunday afternoon in the state capital. Game time is 2:05pm. Right-hander Arismendy Ozoria (4-3, 4.07 ERA) is scheduled to start for the Loons against Lansing righty Anthony Desclafani (5-1, 2.63). The game will be broadcast live on ESPN 100.9-FM and ESPN1009.com.
The Great Lakes Loons are a sixth-year Single-A partner of the Los Angeles Dodgers and are in the middle of their 5th Anniversary Celebration, which kicked off in August 2011 and will continue throughout the 2012 season. For more information about the Loons, visit Loons.com or call 989-837-BALL.
Midwest League Stories from June 23, 2012
- LumberKings Blow Late Lead, Fall to Kane County 6-5 - Clinton LumberKings
- Bullpen Shuts Down Chiefs, Bandits Win Sixth Straight, 4-2 - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Fall 4-2 Saturday Night - Peoria Chiefs
- Bees' Earn Fourth Win in a Row, 8-3 over Wisconsin - Burlington Bees
- Beloit blanks Kernels, 1-0 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Rattlers can't hold lead in Burlington - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- 'caps Can't Come Up With Big Hit In 4-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Early Offense, Stingy Bullpen Fuel 4-2 Win - South Bend Silver Hawks
- Cougars Rally to Beat LumberKings in 10 - Kane County Cougars
- Hot Rods defeat Dragons 6-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Lugnuts earn 2-1 victory over Loons - Lansing Lugnuts
- Portillo Helps TinCaps Cruise to 4-0 Win - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Lugnuts Even Series - Great Lakes Loons
- Hot Rods Homer Happy in 6-3 Victory in Dayton - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Captains Blanked by TinCaps 4-0 - Lake County Captains
- Anthony Alford Joins Lugnuts - Lansing Lugnuts
- TinCaps Announce Roster Moves - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Parkview Field of Dreams Movie Showcase at Ballpark July 21 - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Former TinCaps Star Liriano to Play in Futures Game - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons Gameday for June 23 - Dayton Dragons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.