Drive Notch 12-6 Come-From-Behind WinJune 21, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Greenville Drive
Down 6-5 heading to the bottom of the eighth inning, 11 batters stepped up to the plate for the Drive en route to recording seven runs. Jose Garcia greeted reliever Phil Wetherell with a leadoff triple, and scored as Drew Turocy followed with a pinch hit single to tie the game. Each of the next three batters followed suit by reaching base, including an RBI-double by Garin Cecchini and a run-scoring single off the bat of Boss Moanaroa.
Playing in just his second game of the 2012 season, catcher Leonel Escobar delivered a team-high three RBI, two of which came on a double in the bottom of the eighth. Bryan Johns concluded the frame with an RBI-single.
Having not allowed a run over his first two professional starts, a span of 9.0 innings, right-hander Noe Ramirez quickly saw that streak come to an end in his home debut. The former Cal State-Fullerton standout surrendered leadoff homer to Mason Williams in the bottom of the first. The RiverDogs (39-29, 0-1) added two more runs in their first at bat, taking a 3-0 advantage before the Drive even had their turn.
David Renfroe, who reached base safely in all five of his plate appearances including three hits, accounted for Greenville's first run with a solo homer to begin the bottom of the second. The Drive pulled within a run on Escobar's RBI-groundout.
Greenville added two more runs in the bottom of the fourth, taking their first lead of the game on RBI-singles by Jose Vinicio and Keury De la Cruz. The RiverDogs were able to respond immediately with Tyler Austin's RBI-double in the top of the fifth and regained the lead an inning later on Angelo Gumbs' RBI-double.
De la Cruz delivered a two-out, RBI-triple in the bottom of the sixth as the Drive inched within a run before their offensive outburst in the eighth.
Tyler Lockwood (3-0) held Charleston hitless over the final 2.0 innings, to keep his record unblemished this season.
The Drive and RiverDogs continue their four-game series on Friday, with first pitch set for 7:05 PM. Right-hander Jason Garcia (1-4, 6.95 ERA) will toe the rubber for Greenville, as Charleston counters with right-hander Wilton Rodriguez (1-2, 6.23 ERA).
Following the game, fans will be treated to spectacular fireworks display, set to the today's current hit pop songs. For more information and to purchase tickets call the Fluor Field Box Office at (864) 240-4528, or log onto GreenvilleDrive.com.
South Atlantic League Stories from June 21, 2012
- Intimidators Sneak Past Shorebirds 6-5 in 11 Innings - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Drive Notch 12-6 Come-From-Behind Win - Greenville Drive
- Jackets Down Gnats in Wild 9-8 Game Thursday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- 'Dads take down 'Hoppers, 6-3, to open 2nd Half - Hickory Crawdads
- Late Greenville Rally Buries RiverDogs - Charleston RiverDogs
- West Virginia Overcomes Early Deficit, Beats Legends 9-4 - Lexington Legends
- Pangilinan's GW Single Beats 'Birds in 11th - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Power bests Lexington Legends 9-4 - West Virginia Power
- GreenJackets pick up 9-8 win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Braves Use Hot Start to Cool Tourists; 7-3 - Asheville Tourists
- Suns Squeezed by Blue Claws 5-3 - Hagerstown Suns
- BlueClaws Begin 2nd Half with Bang, Win 5-3 - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Former GreenJackets to Play in Futures Game - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns' Meyer to Represent U.S. in MLB Sirius XM All-Star Futures Game - Hagerstown Suns
- Former Shorebirds to Play in Futures Game - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Savannah Makes Roster Moves - Savannah Sand Gnats
- LHP Walters Promoted to Winston-Salem - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Shorebirds Game Notes: at Kannapolis - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Taillon Selected for All-Star Futures Game - West Virginia Power
- Melissa Azevedo Named Finalist for Local Influential Women in Business Award - Charleston RiverDogs
- Rockies Promote Cleary Jr., Send Laruent to Asheville - Asheville Tourists
- Power Game Notes - West Virginia Power
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.