Beach Bums Throttle Evansville BullpenJune 9, 2012 - Frontier League (FL) Traverse City Beach Bums
The game was tied at 5-5 heading to the bottom of the seventh inning when Evansville turned things over to their relief corps and the Traverse City offense went to work. Ryan Still led off with a single and two batters later, moved to second on a single by Chase Burch. Jeff Flagg followed suit, delivering a base hit to right to score Still and give the Beach Bums a 6-5 lead. Jose Vargas came through with a single of his own, scoring Burch to make it 7-5.
More offense ensued in the eighth as a pitching change did not help Otters' cause. After Brian Heere singled and Still walked, Burch lined a single to center to score Heere and make it 8-5. Flagg came up next and laced a double the other way down the right field line to bring in Still and up the Traverse City lead to four runs. Vargas brought home Burch with a single and Marcus Nidiffer hit a sac fly to center to score Flagg and when the dust had settled, the Beach Bums had opened up an 11-5 lead.
Nick Capito (3-0) earned the win with 2.1 perfect innings of relief, striking out three. Jason Mattila also pitched well, tossing a career long 3.1 innings.
The offense in the game got started right off the bat with both teams scoring first inning runs. After Evansville plated one in the top of the frame, an RBI triple from Kyle Colligan scored Still who had doubled and a Burch groundout brought home Colligan for a 2-1 TC edge.
Evansville would come back with three in the fourth to take a 4-2 lead, but the Beach Bums answered with three of their own in the bottom of the inning, keyed by a Vargas homer. Overall in the game, Vargas had three hits and four RBI, pushing his totals to six hits and seven RBI in the series.
Flagg also had three hits and drove in three for Traverse City while Burch, Still, Colligan and Nidiffer each had multi-hit games.
In the series finale, Brooks Belter (2-0, 3.77) will start for Traverse City against Dan Blewett (1-1, 0.69) for Evansville. It is a Family FUNday Sunday with a team headshot poster giveaway. Kids chairback tickets are half price with the purchase of an adult chairback seat, children ages 5-12 can run the bases after the game and there will be a full team postgame autograph session. For tickets or information, call 943-0100 or visit www.tcbeachbums.com.
Frontier League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Boomers Hang on for 6-5 Win on Cancer Survivors' Night - Schaumburg Boomers
- Big Seventh Inning for Rippers Dooms Joliet - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Hit Their Way to Victory over Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Miners Thump RiverHawks 12-3 - Rockford RiverHawks
- Traverse City Rallies Late for 11-5 Win against Evansville - Evansville Otters
- Beach Bums Throttle Evansville Bullpen - Traverse City Beach Bums
- ThunderBolts beat Florence 4-3 - Windy City ThunderBolts
- Grizzlies Shutout Crushers - Lake Erie Crushers
- Brodin's Blast Catapults London - London Rippers
- Grizzlies Cruise by Crushers for Second Consecutive Win - Gateway Grizzlies
- Wild Things drop Game Two - Washington Wild Things
- Normal wins second road game, 4-0 - Normal CornBelters
- Freedom Host Striking out Cancer on Monday - Florence Freedom
- RiverHawks Sign Rookie Pitcher, Will Start Tonight - Rockford RiverHawks
- When the Wild Things Are Away, Country Music Will Play - Washington Wild Things
- June 9 Joliet Slammers Game Notes - Joliet Slammers
- Miners Win in Comeback Fashion against Rockford - Southern Illinois Miners
- Six-Run Ninth Beats RiverHawks - Rockford RiverHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.