WhiteWings take 8-3 win over Thunder in first meetingJune 9, 2012 - North American League (NAL) Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
It was the first meeting of the 2012 North American League season between the two, but the WhiteWings hold a 6-2 edge on the other stadium occupant, the Edinburg Roadrunners.
The Thunder began the scoring with a run in the bottom of the first inning on two back-to-back errors by the WhiteWings that resulted in a run by Mike Goss.
The Whitewings scored a pair of runs in the second inning when Miguel Alfonso and Rudy Yan scored on a double by Mario Mercedes and three more on in the third on runs by Alfonso, Jordan Price and Mercedes.
The Thunder scored its second run in thee bottom of the third.
The WhiteWings ended their scoring on three runs in the fifth, while the Thunder added a third run in the bottom of the ninth..
Alfonso was 3-for-5 and Mercedes was 2-for-3 with three RBIs.
WhiteWings starter Celson Polsanco gave up five hits, two runs and one walk in eight innings. He was replaced in the ninth by Clint Bowker.
The WhiteWings have a 10-6 record with the win, while theThunder are 4-13.
The two clubs meet again Sunday at Edinburg Stadium, then finish out a four-game series at Harlingen Field on Monday and Tuesday.
North American League Stories from June 9, 2012
- Roadrunners Get on Top Early, Crush Cats 10-4 - Fort Worth Cats
- Hereaud Drives in Five in Win over Cats - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Prairie Dogs unable to start a streak - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts Beat Abilene; Snap Losing Streak - San Angelo Colts
- Thunder Drop Series Opener - McAllen Thunder
- WhiteWings take 8-3 win over Thunder in first meeting - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Abilene Adds New Catcher - Abilene Prairie Dogs
- Colts Activate Nikonchik - San Angelo Colts
- Cats Sweep Doubleheader against Colts - Fort Worth Cats
- Cats Sweep Colts in Doubleheader - San Angelo Colts
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.