Wings Snap 5 Game Skid with Win
HARLINGEN-- The Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings (35-44) snapped their five game losing streak with a 7-3 win over the Edinburg Roadrunners (41-38) Tuesday night at Harlingen field.
RGV got their offense early, starting pitcher Antony Bello walked the bases loaded then walked in Jacob Douglas giving RGV an early 1-0 lead.
The Wings tagged Bello with a pair of runs on an RBI double from Roberto Ramirez making it 3-0 Wings.
In the bottom of the third Albert Carpen led off with his sixth triple on the year, Carpen later scored on a wild pitch adding to RGV's lead 4-0.
Edinburg's Tim Battle led of the top of the fourth inning with a single, Carlton Salters later belted a RBI double scoring Battle cutting the lead to 4-1.
Carpen led off the bottom of the sixth inning with a walk, then later scored on a Douglas RBI single making it 5-1 RGV.
RGV added to their inning with a two run double from Rolando Petit extending the Wings lead 7-1.
Agustin Septimo launched a solo home run in the top of the seventh inning making it 7-2.
Michael Haynes scored on a RBI single from Kaz Smith in the top of the ninth inning making it 7-3.
Brian Smith (1-2) got the win going the distance, throwing nine full innings, on 10 hits, three runs while striking out a season high 11 batters.
The final game of the regular season is set for Wednesday, with the first pitch set for 7:05 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the United League Baseball message board...
United League Baseball Stories from August 13, 2013
- Cats Muster Only Three Hits in Loss to Colts - Fort Worth Cats
- Colts Beat Cats, 4-2, Tuesday - San Angelo Colts
- Roadrunners Win Streak Halted - Edinburg Roadrunners
- Wings Snap 5 Game Skid with Win - Rio Grande Valley WhiteWings
- Colts Split Doubleheader with Cats - San Angelo Colts
- Cats Dash Colts' Playoff Hopes with Doubleheader Split - Fort Worth Cats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.