Sea Dogs Score Early, Fall Late in 7-3 Loss to ReadingMay 16, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Portland Sea Dogs
After a scoreless first, it was Portland that jumped on the board first with a run in the second. Ryan Dent singled to lead off the inning and came around to score on a ball hit by Heiker Meneses that was booted by the third baseman Jeremy Barnes. The 'Dogs tacked on another run in the third when Ronald Bermudez singled and scored on an RBI single by Reynaldo Rodriguez.
Portland starter Chris Hernandez cruised through the first three frames before he ran into trouble in the fourth. The R-Phils knocked in three runs on five hits against the lefty. Cesar Hernandez started the rally with a bunt single. Darin Ruf reached on a fielder's choice and Steve Susdorf hit another bunt single to load the bases with no outs. Miguel Abreu doubled to right that plated Hernandez and Ruf and tied the game. Abreu gave Reading the lead when he scored on a wild pitch.
Trevor May took the hill for the Phillies and pitched into the fifth inning where his command seemed to hit a wall. The righty loaded the bases with free passes and with two down Zach Gentile walked to bring home the tying run.
It was Abreu again that provided the power for the R-Phils in the sixth. Hernandez (2-3) gave up a leadoff double to the shortstop, and another to Leandro Castro which plated the go-ahead run. Reading did not relinquish the lead again in the game.
They added a run in the sixth and two more in the eighth to extend the lead to 7-3. The Portland lefty finished the sixth and allowed five runs, four earned, on seven hits, two walks, and five strikeouts.
Michael Cisco (2-1) was the first pitcher out of the bullpen for the Phillies and earned the win with three innings of scoreless and hitless relief. J.C. Ramirez locked down his third save and closed out the final two-thirds of the ninth inning.
Prime Motor Group Player of the Game: Ronald Bermudez 2-4, R, BB
The Sea Dogs have a scheduled off day Thursday and will return home to host the Binghamton Mets for a three-game weekend series at Hadlock Field, beginning at 6:00 PM on Friday night. The Portland Sea Dogs will send righty Billy Buckner (1-3, 4.10) to the mound. Binghamton has yet to announce its starters for the series. Sea Dogs can be heard on the U.S. Cellular Sea Dogs radio network with 95.5/95.9 FM WPEI serving as the flagship station. Tickets are available for all remaining 2012 Sea Dogs' home games. Book your nine inning vacation by calling the Sea Dogs Ticket Office at 207-879-9500 or log on to www.seadogs.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 16, 2012
- Curve Pick up First Road Series Win in Bowie - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Drop Fifth Straight Game - Bowie Baysox
- Mets Top Thunder in Pitchers Duel, 1-0 - Trenton Thunder
- Fisher Cats Belt 4 Homers in Doubleheader Split at New Britain - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Mandel Marvelous in Senators Win, 3-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Marte Delivers in B-Mets Walk-Off Win, 1-0 - Binghamton Mets
- Eury Perez Leads Senators to 3-1 Win over Richmond - Harrisburg Senators
- Cecil, Fisher Cats Blank Rock Cats In Game 1 - New Britain Rock Cats
- Sea Dogs Score Early, Fall Late in 7-3 Loss to Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes 5/16 vs. Harrisburg - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- OF Michael Planeta Transferred to Bowie - Bowie Baysox
- 'Wolves Take Series from Akron - Erie SeaWolves
- SeaWolves Slip by Aeros, 2-1 - Akron Aeros
- Fisher Cats Increase Community Fundraising Efforts - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Akron Aeros - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Trenton Thunder - Binghamton Mets
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.