Four-Run Fifth Sends Sea Dogs Past ThunderMay 11, 2012 - Eastern League (EL) Trenton Thunder
Chris Hernandez (2-2) carried a shutout into the seventh inning, but Jose Gil's two-run home run pulled Trenton to within two runs. Hernandez pitched a season-long 6.2 innings for Portland and was relieved by Aaron Kurcz who struck out five in 2.1 hitless innings to record his second save of the season.
Ryan Pope (1-4) relieved Stoneburner and kept the game scoreless into the fifth. Reynaldo Rodriguez, however, homered against Pope to lead off the fifth and put Portland on the board. The next three batters would also record hits to chase Pope with the score 2-0 and two runners on base.
Lee Hyde replaced Pope and walked the first two he faced, one with the bases loaded. In all, nine Sea Dogs would bat in the fifth with four scoring on four hits and two walks.
Cody Johnson had two of Trenton's seven hits, while Oscar Tejeda and Bryce Brentz each had a pair to pace Portland's nine-hit attack.
The Thunder and Sea Dogs will play game three of the series Saturday at 7:05 pm, with right-hander Cory Arbiso (0-0, 3.09) slated to pitch for the Thunder and be opposed by Sea Dogs' righty Billy Buckner (1-2, 3.94). Limited tickets are available by contacting the Thunder box office at 609-394-3300 or online at www.trentonthunder.com.
Eastern League Stories from May 11, 2012
- Sea Dogs Rebound with 4-2 Win Over Trenton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Rosenbaum Solid Again in Leading Senators to 8-1 Win over Akron - Harrisburg Senators
- Aeros Fall to Senators - Akron Aeros
- Four-Run Fifth Sends Sea Dogs Past Thunder - Trenton Thunder
- Curve Drop Fourth Straight with 7-3 Loss in Erie - Altoona Curve
- Long Balls Power 'Wolves over Curve - Erie SeaWolves
- B-Mets Ride Big First Inning to 11-4 Win - Binghamton Mets
- Rock Cats Break Up No-Hitter, Go On To Victory - New Britain Rock Cats
- Glenn, Goins, McDade Shine in 11-4 Loss to Mets - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Hesto Presto, Squirrels Dump Baysox, 6-1 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Squirrels Use Big Third to Top Baysox - Bowie Baysox
- Rock 101 Announces the Return of Sky Show Featuring Blue Oyster Cult - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. Bowie - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- B-Mets Game Notes: at New Hampshire Fisher Cats - Binghamton Mets
- Aeros Pitchers on the Move - Akron Aeros
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.