What Williams Starts, RiverDogs FinishMay 6, 2012 - South Atlantic League (SAL) Charleston RiverDogs
Williams' (3-4, HR, 3 RBI, run, SB) homer gave the RiverDogs the lead in the first and they added to it in the second. Dante Bichette, Jr. started the inning with a single and, after back-to-back walks, Francisco Arcia (2-2, 2 BB, 2 RBI, 2 runs) lined a two-run double into the right field corner. Ali Castillo followed with a double of his own for an RBI, making the score 4-1. The double was Castillo's first base hit in a Charleston uniform. Mason Williams then singled to knock in his second run of the game, capping off the rally.
The Shorebirds scored their first run in the fourth on a Justin Dalles (2-4, HR, RBI, 2 runs) homer, but that was the only run they would get against Bryan Mitchell (2-2). Charleston's starter allowed just four hits and one run through five innings, striking out three and walking three en route to the victory.
Delmarva added a second run in the sixth inning against reliever Dan Mahoney when Dalles singled and scored on a double by Gabriel Lino (2-3, RBI), but it was immediately matched by the RiverDogs. In the bottom half, Kelvin De Leon walked, Arcia singled and, after a sacrifice moved both runners over, De Leon scored on a fielders choice. Charleston scored their last run in the seventh when Tyler Austin hit his tenth homer of the year over the wall in dead center field.
After Mitchell departed, the RiverDogs bullpen rebounded from their performance the night before to close out the win. Mahoney pitched 2.2 innings and allowed only one run before handing the pitching duties over to Philip Wetherell. Wetherell came in to get the last four outs and finish off the victory.
BALLPARK FUN: There was Free Parking for fans at the game on Charleston County Parks and Recreation Commission and Crews Chevrolet Family Sunday and Kids Ate Free thanks to Pepsi. Many people took advantage of the chance for a pregame catch on the field and there was also reading with a RiverDog and postgame autographs with the entire team. The RiverDogs kicked off Hospital Week by hosting MUSC Hospital Day. Dog Day #3 brought many pooches to The Joe and there were $3 Miller/Coors Aluminum Pints in the Ashley View Pub. Fans were also treated to a humorous moment when the Delmarva center fielder Glynn Davis, attempting to catch Tyler Austin's homer, lost his glove over the wall and the game had to be delayed so he could retrieve his mitt.
COMING UP: Charleston RHP Scottie Allen (1-2, 4.68 ERA) is scheduled to start the third game of the series on Monday night against Shorebirds' RHP Dylan Bundy (0-0, 0.00 ERA). Dogs With A Cause will take place at the park with the RiverDogs supporting SC Advocates for Epilepsy. Beers in the Ashley View Pub will be just $1, as it will be Hair of Dog Monday.
South Atlantic League Stories from May 6, 2012
- RiverDogs Cruise Past Shorebirds, 8-2 - Delmarva Shorebirds
- What Williams Starts, RiverDogs Finish - Charleston RiverDogs
- Crawdads Put the Brakes on Intimidators with 5-3 Win - Hickory Crawdads
- Crawdads Hit Three Homers to Top Kannapolis - Kannapolis Intimidators
- Drive Chop Braves, 11-3 - Greenville Drive
- Massey Parks Two In Asheville's 8-5 Win Over Lexington - Asheville Tourists
- Asheville Evens Series with 8-5 Win over Legends - Lexington Legends
- BlueClaws Snap Gnats Winning Streak 4-0 Sunday - Savannah Sand Gnats
- First Shutout of 2012 Gives BlueClaws Victory - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crick Fires Six Scoreless in 4-1 Win - Augusta GreenJackets
- Suns Edged by GreenJackets, 4-1 - Hagerstown Suns
- Shorebirds Game Notes vs. Charleston - Delmarva Shorebirds
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.