Defending League Champs Claim Mountain Division Crown with 5-1 WinMarch 18, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Colorado Eagles
The Aces scored twice in the first half of the opening period to take a 2-0 lead into the first intermission. Their first goal came under two minutes in when Jordan Kremyr found a soft spot in the Eagles' defense and one-timed a Blair Yaworski feed from the slot. Ryan Cruthers doubled that lead with a power-play goal at 6:23 by getting just enough of a rebound from low in the left circle to get his shot past a sliding defender and Kyle Jones moving across the crease.
The Eagles out-shot the Aces, 12-10, in the second period, but Alaska took advantage of a two-man advantage and a couple of Colorado defensive breakdowns to out-score the Eagles 3-1 in the frame. The Aces were awarded two separate partial 5-on-3's consecutively early in the period, capitalizing on the second one when Nick Mazzolini tucked the puck inside the right post to give the visitors a 3-0 lead.
The Aces went up 4-0 two and a half minutes later when Zach Harrison scored on an odd-man rush, and ran into the Eagles' netminder afterward. Gord Burnett took offense, and was confronted by Kremyr, which resulted in the Eagles getting a power play. They used that man-advantage to get on the board when Kyle Peto swept a rebound home with a back-hand shot from the slot at 11:32.
But at 14:10, a defensive breakdown led to a 4-on-2 rush for the Aces. They sent a series of crisscross passes through the Eagles' defense before Dan Kissel beat Jones from in close. It was Kissel's seventh goal in eight games against the Eagles this season, and increased his team-leading point total to 62.
The teams combined for just seven shots in the final frame -- the first not coming until nine and a half minutes had elapsed off the clock -- with neither netting a goal.
The Eagles will now head on the road for four games next week, starting in Las Vegas on Tuesday.
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2012
- Thunder rally with four goals, including two by D'Alvise - Stockton Thunder
- Stockton Beats Utah 4-2: Grizzlies Split in California - Utah Grizzlies
- Express Battle Back to Force OT, Fall to Trenton 5-4 - Chicago Express
- Royals Fall to Florida, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Jackals Clinch Playoff Spot After Edging Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Back-And-Forth Battle Ends 4-3 for Bakersfield - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kalamazoo Scores a Season-High Nine Goals to Rout Toledo 9-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- How Sweep It Is Condors Win Third Straight, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans Win in OT - Trenton Titans
- Success in Face-Off Circle Gives Wheeling a Point in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Clinch Playoffs With Win - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Close Road Trip with 5-1 Loss in Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Brutlag Called up to AHL Norfolk - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak - Reading Royals
- Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Sign May - Toledo Walleye
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 18, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Today - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Wheeling, Game 66 - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 18 - ECHL
- 7,537 fans pile into Stockton Arena, teams combine for 91 penalty minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win in Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Stay Alive, Beat Vegas 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Outlast Wranglers, Win 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Pass Franchise Record with 3-2 Shootout Win in Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Outlasts Idaho in Entertaining Affair - Idaho Steelheads
- Express Fall to Trenton 4-1 - Chicago Express
- Aces Kings of the Mountain After 5-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Too Little, Too Late - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defending League Champs Claim Mountain Division Crown with 5-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Strike Gold Again on St. Hattrick's Day, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.