Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement
HERSHEY, Pa. - The HERSHEY BEARS announced today that goaltender Billy Sauer has been signed to a professional tryout agreement. The announcement was made by BEARS President/GM Doug Yingst.
Sauer, 24, joins the BEARS from the South Carolina Stingrays (ECHL), where he has posted a record of 3-2-2, a save percentage of .917 and a goals-against average of 2.74 in seven appearances. Sauer also saw ECHL action with the Florida Everblades, Gwinnett Gladiators and Greenville Road Warriors this season.
The 6-2, 195-lb. native of Rochester, New York appeared in 15 AHL games with the Lake Erie Monsters in 2009-10, appearing in 15 games and posting a record of 5-7-1.
Sauer had a successful four-year collegiate career at the University of Michigan from 2005-06 through 2008-09, compiling a record of 71-30-8 with a .908 cumulative save percentage and 2.56 goals-against average. He helped the Wolverines to the NCAA Frozen Four in 2007-08, a season in which he recorded 30 wins.
Sauer was originally selected in the seventh round (201st overall) by the Colorado Avalanche in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft.
The BEARS are on the road to face the Albany Devils at Times Union Center this afternoon, with faceoff set for 4:00 PM. The team returns to Giant Center to host the St. John's IceCaps on Wednesday, March 21 at 7:00 PM. Individual tickets for this and all regular-season home games are on sale now by calling (717) 508-BEAR, or by visiting ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from March 18, 2012
- Thunder rally with four goals, including two by D'Alvise - Stockton Thunder
- Stockton Beats Utah 4-2: Grizzlies Split in California - Utah Grizzlies
- Express Battle Back to Force OT, Fall to Trenton 5-4 - Chicago Express
- Royals Fall to Florida, 4-2 - Reading Royals
- Jackals Clinch Playoff Spot After Edging Nailers - Elmira Jackals
- Back-And-Forth Battle Ends 4-3 for Bakersfield - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Kalamazoo Scores a Season-High Nine Goals to Rout Toledo 9-1 - Kalamazoo Wings
- How Sweep It Is Condors Win Third Straight, 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Titans Win in OT - Trenton Titans
- Success in Face-Off Circle Gives Wheeling a Point in Elmira - Wheeling Nailers
- Road Warriors Clinch Playoffs With Win - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Cyclones Close Road Trip with 5-1 Loss in Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- ECHL Transactions - March 18 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- ECHL Announces Fines, Suspension - ECHL
- Brutlag Called up to AHL Norfolk - Atlanta Gladiators
- Royals Sign Defenseman Daniel Spivak - Reading Royals
- Bears Sign Goaltender Billy Sauer to Tryout Agreement - South Carolina Stingrays
- Walleye Sign May - Toledo Walleye
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 18, 2012 - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Today - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at Greenville - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Wheeling, Game 66 - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 18 - ECHL
- 7,537 fans pile into Stockton Arena, teams combine for 91 penalty minutes - Stockton Thunder
- Grizzlies Clinch Playoff Berth with 5-2 Win in Stockton - Utah Grizzlies
- Condors Stay Alive, Beat Vegas 4-3 - Bakersfield Condors
- Condors Outlast Wranglers, Win 4-3 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Reign Pass Franchise Record with 3-2 Shootout Win in Idaho - Ontario Reign
- Ontario Outlasts Idaho in Entertaining Affair - Idaho Steelheads
- Express Fall to Trenton 4-1 - Chicago Express
- Aces Kings of the Mountain After 5-1 Win - Alaska Aces
- Too Little, Too Late - Kalamazoo Wings
- Defending League Champs Claim Mountain Division Crown with 5-1 Win - Colorado Eagles
- Royals Strike Gold Again on St. Hattrick's Day, 4-3 - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.