Titans Halt Express, Losing StreakMarch 17, 2012 - ECHL (ECHL) Trenton Titans
A superb overall defensive effort, Brad Phillips' best performance of the season, a pair of Andy Bohmbach goals and outstanding back-checking added up to a 4-1Titans (20-37-3-5-48) win over the Chicago Express (29-25-6-4) before 2,786 fans at the Sears Center.
Bohmbach, who scored his 24th goal on the power play with 3:54 remaining in the second period, giving the Titans a 2-0 lead, received the First Ace. Phillips, who stopped 14-of-15 shots, was awarded the Second Ace.
Gone is the nine-game losing streak that dogged the Titans since Feb. 25.
After a scoreless opening period, Ryan Hayes put the Titans ahead 1-0 with his 22nd goal with 10 minutes remaining in the second period. Bohmbach's first goal pushed the lead to 2-0.
Given the Titans' fate over the course of the season, Maxime Gratchev's 13th goal of the season with 11:12 remaining made things a bit tight, but Randy Rowe, with his 19th goal, restored a two-goal Titans advantage and made it 3-1 with 2:57 remaining.
Bohmbach then put matters to rest with his 25th goal, an empty-netter, with 1:03 remaining.
The Titans and Express will face off again at 5 p.m. Sunday on Sears Center ice.
ECHL Stories from March 17, 2012
- Titans Halt Express, Losing Streak - Trenton Titans
- Gazley Pulls into Tie for ECHL's Scoring Lead - Elmira Jackals
- Wheeling Earns Important Point in Reading - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 Win - Gwinnett Gladiators
- Toledo Downs Kalamazoo in a Shootout 4-3 - Toledo Walleye
- Road Warriors Turned Away In Gwinnett - Greenville Road Warriors
- Cyclones Sunk by Stingrays, 4-2 - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Stingrays Topple Cyclones on Military Appreciation Night - South Carolina Stingrays
- Case Returns to Idaho - Idaho Steelheads
- Defenseman Zach McKelvie Recalled to Providence - Reading Royals
- Edmonton Reassigns Goaltender Olivier Roy to Thunder - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Vs. Las Vegas Tonight - Bakersfield Condors
- Game Preview: Stockton Thunder Vs. Utah Grizzlies - Stockton Thunder
- Stingrays Gameday: Military Appreciation Night Tonight Vs. Cincinnati - South Carolina Stingrays
- ECHL Transactions - March 17 - ECHL
- Game Preview: Express Vs. Trenton Tonight - Chicago Express
- Cyclones Game Preview - Cincinnati at South Carolina - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Greenville Road Warriors Game Preview - March 17, 2012 - Greenville Road Warriors
- Countdown to Face-Off - Kalamazoo Wings
- Jackals Game Preview: Elmira Vs. Florida - Elmira Jackals
- ECHL Today - March 17 - ECHL
- 6,017 fans enjoy wild third period, Thunder three-goal rally and victory - Stockton Thunder
- Condors Still Fighting, Beat Utah 5-2 - Bakersfield Condors
- Wild Third Ends 3-1 for Stockton - Las Vegas Wranglers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.